Fifteen

"Teal watch out!" Wynter called out to her blue haired teammate as a chunk of concrete bigger than her head crashed down the staircase and barrelled towards them, "Is the tower going to fall down?!" Teal dodged the object with a graceful swerve, and without answering the somewhat rhetorical question, sped onwards. Wynter allowed her feet to guide themselves as she thought, if the tower was indeed collapsing as she feared, then how? And what was happening on the roof?

***

Navi leapt sideways as a bullet screamed by her torso, twisting her body to counter an attack by one figure as her legs struggled to catch up. She crossed her daggers into an 'X' shape and pushed against the barrel of a gun, when the figure's weight relented she pushed very hard very fast, and the figure fell backwards, allowing Navi to render her opponent unconscious with the butt of her dagger.

It wasn't long before another took their place, and Navi extended her weapon into a dual-bladed sword so that she could deflect the hail of bullets fired at her with one hand as she checked on Rain. Her purple haired partner was currently putting all her efforts into landing a hit on her opponent, but no matter how fast she swung Downpour, the figure would always casually slink out of the way of the axe's blades, irritatingly so, as Rain appeared to grow more agitated the more she missed. A fleck of green appeared on the figure as they evaded another attack, Navi squinted, and the flecks became clearer, defining themselves as smooth, glassy scales, no wonder Rain couldn't seem to hit them.

One mighty swing hit the roof and resonated through the tower, Navi threw her arms out to keep herself steady, ducking low to avoid the attacks coming from beside her. When she managed to stand straight again Rain was still caught up with her slippery opponent.

Navi's view of Rain was blocked when a figure appeared in front of her, and one half of the sword was harshly broken away with a swipe, the now separate dagger skittered across the roof, drawing nail-bitingly close to the edge. She found herself holding her breath in anticipation as the helpless weapon balanced on the very edge of the precipice, teetered, and plunged. "Solace!" She cried out as she made for the weapon, but her path was blocked by a stout pair of legs, Navi snarled and let loose a fury of slashes and hits towards the figure, defending whenever the offense was directed towards her.

Rain, oblivious to the loss, had lost her patience with her rival and raised Downpour high above her head, the figure smirked and watched to see what she would do, with a furious yell, the axe was brought down. As expected, her opponent rolled out of the way, in the blink of an eye Rain adjusted the axe's course, the figure barely had time to turn around before the flat edge of the weapon collided with their side in a brutal smack, and they were flying across the roof, all the way to the far edge of the tower, where they were presented to their accomplices, the smirk nowhere to be found.

***

The foundations trembled again, showering Teal with dust, she exhaled through her nose as she shook her head in an attempt to clean herself. Teal gave a wary glance towards the ceiling, as though it would collapse upon them if she looked for too long.

The two had stopped to catch their breath in one of the record rooms, a strong breeze blew through the floor, disturbing a few scattered papers, Teal found the source of the breeze, a large hole in the glass that made up the far wall.

Figuring she had time to spare, Teal went to investigate, and stood by the hole. Above the howl of the wind she could hear the clash of metal against metal coming from the roof.

Curiously, there was another sound, similar to the rushing air, Teal focused on the sound, singling it out. The noise grew louder and clearer, until she stuck her arm through the space and the sound was cut off.