Bonus Chapter!

Hello! I hope you're all enjoying the story so far. This chapter is a bit of an odd one because it works like the trailers do in RWBY, in that it doesn't affect the overall story, and its purpose is to provide some background information about a character, or characters in this case. There should be three more of these in later chapters, one for each member of WNTR, unless I decide to give team BRCH their own too. I'm interested to know what you guys think about the story and especially the characters, creating characters for RWBY is way too much fun.

Anyway this is Rain's chapter. Enjoy! :)

---

"Rain?" Her voice was very quiet, almost silent as she spoke to the girl sleeping at her back.

"Yes Teal."

"Where's Fulgur?"

"I don't know."

"Rain?"

"Yes Teal."

"When is he coming back?"

"I don't know."

"Rain?" When she gave no response the taller girl could hear Teal shuffling into a sitting position to check if she was asleep.

"R-Rain?" Rain kept her eyes closed and her breathing steady until Teal sighed and lay back down. As she was drifting off she wondered how many times she had been asked those questions by her friend over the years since his initial disappearance.

Teal gave up and shifted so that her head rested on the thin layer of sheets before staring at the door for the rest of the night. She watched the shadows dance every time someone passed the door, their feet blocking out the thin sliver of light that seeped through from the bottom of it. She watched until her eyelids felt heavy, and she succumbed to the urge of sleep, her eyes moving under their lids whenever she heard footsteps.

Rain awoke several hours later to see the usual sterile white light from outside their cell had been replaced with orange, and it was considerably warmer. She took a deep breath and the stench of burning chemical invaded her airways, causing her to cough. She looked beside her and saw Teal fast asleep, her back facing the door, the larger girl forcibly shook her, which brought Teal out of her slumber very quickly; the girl looked at Rain curiously before the yelling started.

"EVERYONE EVACUATE THE PREMISES! WE ARE UNDER EMERGENCY PROCEDURES!"

There was a great scuffling of feet just outside their door, shouts of 'fire!' and 'out of the way!' could be heard, and the girls didn't move, before they heard one simple sentence that sent them into a panic.

"SOMEONE RETRIEVE THE TEST SUBJECTS!"

They thought they had been forgotten about, but this was their chance, if they could get out of here before someone came in, they would be free from this hell. Rain looked around their cell until she caught sight of the small window at the very top of the wall opposite to the door, she stood and went to it, it was locked, but the frame was old and she broke the pane away from the rest of it with a simple push. She beckoned Teal over and gave her a boost; the girl squirmed through and held out her arm for Rain to grab, hauling herself through the space as well.

The entire world was bathed in a copper glow as the girls darted away from the compound towards a small line of trees; there they hid, watching the black silhouettes run about against a flaming backdrop. They didn't move until they heard a voice that was too close for comfort, and they shrunk back into the shadows, away from the institute until they could no longer see the buildings.

They ran as fast as they could over the root-tangled ground until their bare feet met concrete, and they looked around to see that they were in a city. Rain dragged Teal by her arm out of the path of an oncoming vehicle, which turned out to be a fire engine that sped down the road, sirens blaring, in the direction of the smoke seen above the buildings, smoke that could only be from one thing.