friend, please ↠ chapter ii

a/n: switching perspectives. //t » tyler, //j » josh, //n » third person.

-------

//t

i hung there wordless for what felt like an eternity, staring at the boy who was quite literally holding my life in his hands. i gulped and looked back to the water quickly, but only saw darkness. my shadow tilted its head at me, and i shook my head and turned back to the blue-haired figure. it occurred to me to stand on my own once more, and i moved my lead feet closer to the railing. the boy helped me back over the barrier, and i was back to safety, at least for now.

the black smoke suffocating me cleared, and my hitched breathing began to return to normal.

//j

"hey, i gotcha," i whispered, pulling him back inside the railing. for the time being, he'd be alright. he choked out a thank-you and stepped out from underneath the streetlight's shadow, giving me a clear view of his face. i couldn't help but think he looked familiar, that i knew him somehow. i shuffled my feet uncomfortably. "do you need a ride?"

"um ..."

"take your time."

after a few minutes, he looked back at me with watering eyes. "i don't know. i can't go home, josh." wait. he knew my name? should i ask -- no. there were more important things right now.

"why not?" i said, regretting it as he began to cry and hiccup. "it's okay. you don't have to tell me. you can stay over at my house."

"oh, but i -- i c-couldn't --"

"it's alright, man. come on."