Gold

"Can we not give them her dead body?" Marrok asked.

Elizabeth flinched at his words. Everyone's attention now focused upon Marrok, whose unwavering gaze did not deviate from Winter, demanding a response.

"You wish to kill Elizabeth yourself and deliver her back from whence she came?" Winter answered incredulously.

"You said you would protect me," the words spilled from Elizabeth's mouth in disbelief.

"It's the only way to protect you," he replied as he glanced back at Elizabeth with sadness in his eyes. "I believe it's the only way to protect us all.  I know that Winter, my queen would agree, and, has the power within her to do so," he continued.

Blossom's face contorted in horror and she grasped Elizabeth's shaky hand, as she struggled to remain silent.

"I see," Winter's tone was ponderous.

Tears began to fall silently onto Elizabeth's flushed cheeks, clouding her vision of Winter who sat rigidly in her throne. Winter tapped her long fingernails as she contemplated Marrok's suggestion.

Elizabeth could not believe that her life was once again at risk of being extinguished. It was as if she were a candle placed precariously in a breeze, her flame flickering wildly. She wanted to escape, to run, but she knew it was futile.

"So be it," said Winter with conviction.

"No. Please my queen," pleaded Blossom.

Winter ignored Blossom and rose from her throne, turning to face Marrok and Autumn. "Where is the body of the mercenary?" she asked.

"I took it to the caves, my queen," Marrok replied.

"I will need time to prepare. I may curse you Marrok if we do not succeed in this folly. Ensure safe passage back through the woodland for Elizabeth, and take Blossom with you. Autumn and I will meet you at the caves before sundown." Winter commanded.

                         .......................................................

In a bewildered state of shock, Elizabeth followed Marrok and Blossom out of the upper chamber to an enormous, ornately carved doorway. It was guarded by two nymphs dressed in leather armour and armed with swords. As Marrok approached, the guards removed themselves and stood either side of the entrance, revealing delicate depictions of leaves, vines, and creatures of the woodland carved into the darkened wood. The guards unsheathed their weapons in unison and tapped them against the doorway which shimmered momentarily before it opened inwards, allowing Marrok, Elizabeth and Blossom to walk through into the woodland beyond.

Elizabeth welcomed the coolness of the breeze outside, despite it making her eyes, already irritated by her tears, sting even more. Looking back, she expected to see the doorway closing behind them. Instead, all she saw was a mighty oak with massive breadth. Its large roots protruded from the earth like tentacles. It showed no hint of the enchanted entrance hidden within it.

"Stay close to me," Marrok instructed.

"Marrok, you can't allow Elizabeth to die," Blossom pleaded, running to his side.

Marrok stopped and turned to face Elizabeth. "You will not die today, or any other, whilst there is breath in my body, but you must trust me for it to be so."

Elizabeth looked into his dark brown eyes, which were more human-like than wolf. Despite the doubts that had crept into her consciousness when she had stood before Winter, she could not help but trust him.

"I know. I'm sorry I doubted you," Elizabeth replied.

Marrok bowed his head as if to accept her apology and walked away expecting Blossom and Elizabeth to follow. Blossom looked at Elizabeth with a dumbfounded expression. Elizabeth shook her head resignedly, silently pleading with her not to say anything more.