Treason

They all looked to the Seer whose thunderous expression was beginning to lose severity as Zea disappeared beyond the trees.

"Why would Winter do such a thing?" asked Salvia still shocked by the revelation.

The Seer ignored her question and asked Rue to follow him inside the Elder. "I want to show you something before we depart." Leaving the others they walked down the steps into the throne chamber with its large domed ceiling.

The Seer did not give Rue time to stand in awe but fragments of memories started to recollect in her mind. She could recall Winter as a young nymph sitting to the left of her parents as they sat on their thrones. Even then, Winter's glossy black hair had fallen in curls to her waist. The memory of who sat to the right was hazy and Rue became irritated at the thought she been made to forget.

The Seer led her into the small antechamber on the west side. Walking through the small ebony door studded with crystals they entered the small room with a marble plinth. The Seer brought her attention to the walls and ceilings decorated with molten silver stars and in particular the wall that had been blackened. "There is an identical room to the east. I can't be sure because maybe I too was made to forget, but I'm sure these rooms were portals to other realms," he said running his bony fingers over the defaced wall.

"I can't remember," admitted Rue. "Why show me this?"

"Knowing what I know now I wonder."

"Wonder what?"

"That is the question I know not, but one I fear greatly. Shadow creatures are escaping through the veil and a goblin by the name of Grot I have seen not far from this place. He was, during the war a pawn of both sides and faired badly for it. I sense another war approaches but this time I know not what side we should aide." He looked as if despair had swallowed him whole. Rue's memories of him as her 'Rubus' were still not complete but she was sure she had never seen him look so despondent.

"You sought out Luna for a reason," replied Rue with a beaming confidence she did not feel but with a conviction she felt in her heart. "She is neither nymph or woman now. We should follow her, wherever it may lead."

To her relief, he smiled and affectionately brushed his hand over her cheek. "One thing I will never forget," he mused happily. "The reason why I loved you and still do." Leaning forward he kissed her gently. They lingered together for a while longer and then begrudgingly joined the others outside.

The Seer tapped his staff on the leafy ground as he walked out into the open with Rue at his side causing everyone to look. "It is time to decide where your allegiance lies. If you choose Winter then you leave now in Zea's footsteps." He lifted his staff and pointed it southwards. He knew that there was little choice for those that remained, but he felt it important that they all openly commit, for he and the others knew that their next step would be treason. No-one replied and they all stood firm. "I suggest we move North with haste."

..................................................

It had taken time for Winter's rage to diminish enough for Autumn to discuss sensibly their next course of action and she was thankful to escape the episode without harm. Broken shards of glass and ice lay strewn on the polished oak floor and woven silk tapestries now hung in shreds on the wall. Winter sat at the head of the long table in her private chambers absently turning her amber ring around and around upon her slender pale finger.

"Its treason," Winter snarled in disgust. "They have all defied me."

"Let me leave now and I'll find them by sunset," Autumn suggested feeling that to be the only solution. "You cannot send any of the guardians without questions being asked."