A Desolate Landscape

Summer had not yet given in to autumn and Grot was sweating in the heat of the midday sun. He had been riding since dawn and now looked for a suitable spot to stop and rest. He only had vague memories of this landscape but he noticed the valley opening up ahead of him and thought he recalled a lake which would be a perfect place to catch some fish. He was right and it wasn't long before he saw the vast expanse of calm green-hued water ahead of him.

The pony he had purchased was a small white mare with a subdued nature so he did not bother tethering her to a nearby tree as he took off his boots and trousers and ventured barefoot into the coolness of the water. He was short of stature so he hadn't ventured far from the bank before he was waist deep. Standing still in the muddy silt that seeped in-between his toes whilst the silky grass-like plants beneath the surface caressed his legs, he waited. His patience was rewarded when small bubbles of air rippled onto the surface of the water. Slowly and carefully he placed his hands deep into the water and felt the fish brush against them. This was a trick he had been taught by a fisherman who had been drafted to fight in the war. No pole or hook required, just patience and his patience soon paid off as the fish tried to wriggle out of his grasp. As he got back to the bank where the pony was now happily taking a drink he took the fish by its tail and smashed its head upon a rock.

He deftly gutted it and quickly made a small fire on which to cook it and sat looking out across the still water whilst he turned it on a rudimentary spit. He thought about the fisherman and wondered if he had survived to see his family again and knew that whatever had happened, he like the other humans he had once known were long gone and forgotten. As he ate the flaky meat of the fish he scorned himself for being sentimental. That had got him into trouble before and he was not going to do that again, although there was nothing wrong with making the most of his time here in the human realm. 'It will be a different place once Mortanum has her way' he thought out loud. The pony looked at him as if she understood what that meant and gave out a soft whinny. "Once she has her sacrifice, this realm will be much like that beyond the Mortis Gate," he continued feeling the need to tell someone his worries, even if it was a mere pony. "We still have many leagues to go until we reach Wyvern. No-one said we had to hurry." He smiled at the pony and wiped the grease from his mouth with the back of his hand. Leaning back on the grass he looked up into the clear blue sky not noticing the horsemen that galloped across the hills to the East of the valley bearing the Treggorne banner.

..........................................................

Blue orbs of light lit the chamber that was filled with small beds, their occupants pale and still as if they were dead. Calla was in the first bed they came across and Blossom rushed to her bedside instinctively putting her hands either side of Calla's head. Blossom's fingers brushed against the black curls that covered Calla's small pointed ears. Closing her eyes Blossom tried to connect with her but felt nothing. Calla's life-force seemed in-tact and there was nothing to suggest that disease had taken hold of her body.

Blossom opened sullen eyes. "I can feel nothing."

Rue pushed her aside and did as Blossom had done but came to the same conclusion. Moving to the nymph is the bed next to Calla, Rue repeated her actions. "They aren't suffering from any ailment," Rue remarked. She could see the anguish in Blossom's face but she feared the key to Blossom's full recovery lay in the answer she was looking for. "I think a dark magic has been used for some purpose. I'm sure you suffered the same fate as these nymphs but somehow you fared much better. That would explain your nightmares.

"Do you think Winter knows?"

"She may not be a healer but she's not stupid. Why else has she hidden them away like this? We need to leave before the guardians return."