Chapter 14

KUNBI

The sun that shone through the light curtain seemed hot, I wondered why September had to be so hot. Very soon the rain would be stopping and I was really looking forward to the cold season in December. Oh how I loved December and all the Christmas parties we threw in the estate. I looked up the wall to my left and saw that the air conditioning had been turned off from the socket, there was no way I was getting up from the bed soon. Not with my head banging like a drum set.

I was startled when someone shuffled near me, I turned and saw kemi sprawled across the bed. Her right leg was facing a different direction from the left. She had managed to wrap the whole duvet around her leaving me with nothing.
How did she survive under that in this heat I thought and laughed. She did look innocent and adorable. I chuckled as I poked her side but she didn't budge.

"Kemi..." She rolled and faced the other side of the room away from me.

This girl was so stubborn " kemi.." I tugged her this time.
"Huh huh? " She grumbled." Turn off the light" she murmured before using the duvet to cover her face.
She was definitely hilarious as well! She was such a restless sleeper, I couldn't help but wonder how she rolled out of my arms in the night. In movies the girl always stayed in the guys arms until morning but this little miss kemi had to roll out in the night. No wonder I forgot she was in my room.

"Kemi.." I said with a warning voice. "It's time to wake up"

" No! She grumbled from underneath the covers but I heard her perfectly.

" Get up or else I will bring in the cold water" I warned her.

"You won't dare" she sat up straight looking at me with her big brown and clear white eyes.

"No I won't ! Since you are already up" I teased.

She sighed heavily as she fell back on the bed with a puff sound. I looked down on her and chuckled.

Sliding out of bed, I pinched her arms lightly "Common let's pray"

"You go ahead, I am okay"

"Kemi..."

" you can pray for me instead" she said cutting me off without looking in my direction. I wanted to argue, tell her how important praying in the morning was, I wanted to tug at her until she budged but I knew she won't, it was worse now that she was angry at God.
I shook my head and proceeded to my knees to pray
" and please pray for my dad" she added.

"You can just come and join me to pray for him you know "

"....Kunbi please" she said with a monotone voice.

"Fine!" I dropped the argument as I began my prayers, first thanking God, then committing the day ahead. I prayed for my parents, and then Kemi's mum for more strength, I prayed for God's healing for her dad and then for Kemi! She really needed God to touch her.

I could hear kemi shuffle up and down the bed, tossing the duvet around the bed but I kept up with my prayers, ignoring her.

She sighed heavily, before she stood and made her way to my side.

"Amen!" She shrieked "Amen! Kunbi God has heard you already.. get up" she hit my back with a pillow. It was getting hard to concentrate again so I wrapped up my prayers.

" Get up!" She jumped on my back and straddled me. She was unbelievable. I grabbed her legs and jumped up quickly in a way that took her by surprise.

"KUNBI" She screamed but I didn't listen instead I rushed to the bathroom and turned on the shower.

"What are you doing ?" She asked confused.