Chapter 29

The bell went off followed by loud cheers, jammed lockers and chairs. The last period of the day was over and every student was more excited about this bell than the morning bell for the start of class.

I was also excited especially because the after- school committee meeting for the upcoming graduation ceremony was rescheduled. Oh yes, graduation preparations had taken off full force and we were swarmed with work.

Kunbi had eventually volunteered for the planning committee but I felt he just joined because he wanted to make me happy. I found it sweet but I couldn't help but think about what Dumebi said about Guys getting what they want when they wanted to. I felt I forced him into the planning committee but regardless, we had a nice time together. While he volunteered for logistics, I volunteered for welfare- refreshment, decorations etc.

I stepped out of the class and tagged along with Tracey who was heading for the gate.

"Are you going home kemi" she asked me.

'No.. Erm am going to the art studio"

"Oh! " Was her cold response.

"Any problem Tracey?" I got the vibe that she was not happy with me and I was not in the mood to quarrel.

"You tell me, your love for Kunbi is making you into this person..this is not the Kemi I know and love. "

"What do you mean? You know I like him and you also know he is my best friend."

"So what am I?"

I was silent, thinking of how, I would tread lightly with her. She had been off since I got back from Abuja and I did not know why she was.

"You are my best friend Tracey."

"Can you even have two best friends? I think that defeats the whole purpose of "best". So who is your best friend Kemi? Kunbi or me? "

"I...I... Tray, listen" she paused and waited for me to finish my statement but I couldn't.

With that she walked off without giving me a chance to explain.

"Tracey wait!" I called out to her but she made no attempt to look back at me. I really liked Tracey and she was the closest female friend I had. But some people are more special than others and Kunbi was special to me. Maybe because I was in love with him.

As I walked into the art studio, the music was playing on Max and It was crowded with guys, some painting, others learning some dance steps and a group of boys behind the music player. I had entered the studio a thousand times to look for Kunbi that I was no longer shy of whoever I met there.

I waved at everyone in the studio and immediately Kunbi shot his head out from behind the music player and waved at me before stopping the music.

" Kunbi your girlfriend is here, its time to go" one boy cheered and others laughed in a mocking manner.

I started to blush at the scenario when Kunbi snapped back.

"She's not my girl friend" he said defensively. I was taken aback by the venom his voice had.

"Oh really?" Bill, Kunbi's friend mocked from behind.

" Yeah. She is more like a sister to me" he resolved before pulling me out of the studio after him.

My blush had turned into hot air.

"His sister?" I couldn't believe my ears. I loved him but he only thought of me as a sister? It confirmed everything I thought and felt. He only considered me his sister. God! I have been so stupid.
Throughout the journey home, I was quiet, I was thinking.... I was heart broken..
I was nothing but a sister to him!!!!!