Chapter 35

"Prom is in 10 days kemi can you believe it?" Tracey screamed!

I blocked my ears while Tracey kept screaming with a squeaky voice.
"Yes! Hopefully I will be able to hear my name when I am called for my award. Geez Tracey your voice!"

"Sorry!" She blushed before jumping on my bed. I carefully shifted my MacBook from her reach before she broke it out of excitement.

"What are you going to wear for prom?" Tracey asked, stealing a grape from my plate of fruits.

I rolled my eyes at her as I shifted it from her reach too " I have not decided yet, hopefully i will see something online. What about you ?"

"I want something short" she said trying to reach for my fruit again and I swatted her hand.

"Why do you want something short?" I opened my MacBook and started browsing on prom dresses.

"For Felix"

I raised my eyes from the laptop and winked at her. I see things are going smoothly.

"Yes actually he asked me to prom"

"Oh!" I was disappointed because I imagined Tracey and I going together as friends.

"What about you? Who will you go with?"

" I was hoping we will go together but don't worry I will be fine. Really!" I offered her a smile to prove that I was okay. "Or I would not go"

"Don't be silly. You joined the planning committee for this and you have spent so much time planning this prom. You cannot be absent from it." Tracey encouraged.

"Your right! Don't worry I will go."

"You see, I am a good friend." She said and reached out for another grape.

"What's with you and my plate of fruits? You finished yours and that's your plate there." I pointed to my dresser where Tracey had discard her fruit plate.

"Please now! Let me just eat yours. It's your house so you can always get more." She argued.

"It is also your house so go and get it yourself."

"Fine! Later! Let's just shop."

------*****----

After about 5 hours of surfing the internet, we had finally placed orders for our prom dresses, heels and purses.

"Where are you making your hair?" Tracey asked.

"I don't know yet Tray !" I sighed. We were lying on our backs, starring at the ceiling while a soft music was playing from my beats speakers.

"What's wrong?"

"I dont know... it's Kunbi. Tracey I hate that we are not friends anymore. "

"You are not? Because last I checked you both were still on talking terms."

"Yes but you know what I mean. Things have really changed. We can't even have a steady discussion. Either Trisha comes around or Bill or one of his football buddies. It's like nature is against us."

"I don't know what to say Kemi . Do you still love him?"

"Yes Tray. I really do, I wish I didn't. This is so hard for me. But I will rather still have him as my best friend. Kunbi has been in my life since my life began."

"Then you should tell him Kemi. Brave up and tell him how you feel."

"Never! Tracey that is sucide. Our friendship, our families... it's too risky I can't do it!"

"Then you will continue to wonder what would have happened between you two."

I rolled on my side "Tracey... I need help !"

"It's okay kemi! See-" she stopped mid sentence as her phone vibrated "shit! My mum. I need to do somthing for her and she is already asking about my whereabout."

"Ow its fine. You should get going."

Tracey got off the bed and I followed her to the door. " make sure you will think about what I said. I need you to be okay Kemi"

"I will, I promise"

We shared a hug before I crawled back in bed. I lay down flat spreading my hands across the large bed. Somehow, my bed had become the only constant in my life and it brought to much comfort to me to just lie down. My life was pathetic and I knew it.

----******------
That evening, as I lay on my bed yet again, listening to music in discomfort from my monthly period, I remembered when Kunbi helped me to the clinic in school. It seemed like only yesterday but so much had changed between us.
I know Kunbi made efforts to talk to me regardless, but Trisha was a clingy girlfriend and it was so hard. I turned on my side on the bed and pressed the next button of the music player.
The song "say something" came on again and I remembered when Kunbi shared his earpiece with me on the plane.
Say something Kunbi! I am giving up on you
Just then the door of my room burst open and I saw my dad and mum standing by the door.

"Kemi we have been calling you!" I heard my dad's strong voice and quickly removed my headset and set it aside on my bed.

"Sir? Ma?" I responded to them both.

"Guess what?" I could see my mum could no longer bottle up her excitement and that made me sit up in bed.

"what ma?"

"Your mum went to pick up the mail today and she received a mail from University of Minnesota." My dad continued from where my mum stopped.

"Okay?" My heart was pounding. With everything happening in school and with Kunbi, I hoped for a miracle even if I had removed my mind from Minnesota because of Kunbi.

"So?" I was eager now! Oh God please...

"You got in honey! " my mum screamed with Joy!

"Oh my God" I jumped off my bed and then ran to embrace my parents, forgetting all about my cramps.

" Thank you Jesus!" I repeated over and over again.

"They have an orientation program for all newly admitted students."

"Yes! yes daddy! Yes! I want to go please!"

"Okay, I will call my friend at the embassy and see how we could renew your Visa."

My parents shared in my joy and were about to leave the room when I asked

"When is the orientation starting dad?"

"In two weeks!"

"Two weeks?" I couldn't believe my ears.

"Yes! So you will have to leave Nigeria latest in 10 days. Because you need time to arrive and settle down before the orientation program starts. Let me call and get things running" with that my dad and mum shut the door.

10 days? That was our prom night wasn't it?

I found my way back to my bed and sat down carefully with all my energy drained. I was going to miss prom and not just prom, I was going to say goodbye to Tracey and Kunbi in 10 days.

It was too much for me to take in!

Hello there ! I hope you are enjoying the story. Just a few more chapters and It will be a wrap. Thank you all for reading. Please if you are enjoying this story, do me a favour by sharing it with your friends on wattpad. Please also like and comment because I really enjoy reading your comments. Thank you all.

Much love
Unini