Chapter 34

The Easter break flew by very fast and soon enough school had resumed. I was no longer enthusiastic about school like I always was. Maybe it was because I was avoiding my bestfriend and his new girlfriend or maybe because my trips to school were lonely and cold with just mr James driving me.
It was even worse now that Tracey my ride and die buddy was moving on happily with Felix since their Easter date. Oh yes! He took her on a date during Easter and they had so much fun together. I was really happy for her, really I was, but for my lonely self and broken heart, I wished for the first time that Tracey was not so involved with Felix.

I walked slowly to my elective class- food and nutrition alone, watching as students brushed passed me. It was as if I was invisible once again, not that I minded but it was sad. Everything was sad to me and I just wanted to cry or change school.
Waking into the class, I found a seat at the back and brought out my notebook and pen ready for the start of the class.

"Who do we have here!" I heard him say and immediately a smile lit up my face. I turned and faced Kunbi who somehow looked better every passing day.

"Hey you!" I said.

"How are you doing?"

"I am alright, how is life in the hostel?"

'You know, the usual.. prep, sports, food, social night..."

I nodded at him and turned to face my note where I was scribling random lines.

"You are doing it again" Kunbi said.

"Doing what?" I played ignorance.

"Turning away from me. Kemi you know-"

"Kunbi I am not turning away from you Seriously. Okay!" I closed my note and dropped the pen " what's new?"

His eyes brightened up immediately "Guess what?"

"What?"

"Trisha just got a switch of-"

"Hey!!!!" And there was Trisha.

"Hi baby" she leaned over and gave Kunbi a wet kiss on the cheek before she Sat down. "Hi Kemi, you have been MIA"

"Yeah been busy with alot of things" I gave her a weary smile.

"I understand. Things have been crazy with graduation coming soon and all."

"Yeah!" I looked at Kunbi who was playing with her fingers idle. I felt jealousy rise up to my chest but I quickly suppressed it.

"Good thing I was able to switch my elective to food and nutrition.

"That was what I was about to tell you" Kumbi said.

"Kunbi told me he wanted to spend more time with you and I totally understand, I mean you are his best friend after all. So I decided I too could switch my vocation so we all could spend time together. Yayyy!"

"Yayyy!" I said with a fake cheer.

"Isn't she so thoughtful Kunbi said just as the teacher walked Into the class.

Thoughtful indeed she just managed to sap the only time I had alone with Kunbi.
I realised in that moment that things were going to be a little harder than I thought.

------*****-----

Our final exams had started and I was particularly glad because I had a lot of things occupying my mind, I did not really pay attention to Kunbi and Trisha or the fact that everyone thought they were the cutest couple in the set. We hardly spoke, Kunbi and I. Even times when I was trying to catch him up on what was going on at home, Trisha would show up with one thing or the other that will drag Kunbi out. I wanted to talk to Tracey about it but thought against it because if I did, she would want to stay with me to cheer me up and I couldn't bear separating her from Felix. Things were working out for her, I couldn't fight against it.

I threw myself completely into my studies and the graduation planning committee which Trisha somehow joined to be closer to Kunbi. I swear I wanted to kill the girl.
I was counting down to graduation while I tried to stay happy until the days flew by. It was hard but less hard every single day. I was healing and I was happy.