Chapter 18 - Redemption

The church was enormous. Painted white with red and navy blue chairs that were so comfortable. I couldn't believe a church could be so beautifully decorated, it looked like a house and I already felt at home with the beautiful worship session.

The praise and worship leader led with such crescendo that by the end of the praises, I was at a point of Ecstasy. It was hypnotic! I had spent such a long time away from church services that I had forgotten what exactly it felt like to be in the presence of God.

Kunbi leaned towards me and whispered " wait till you hear testimonies and the message.  Our pastor is anointed"

"shh!" Kunbi's mum hushed, leaning towards us from my other side.

"Stop talking in the house of God" she said calmly.
I lowered my head shyly while Kunbi tried to protest but his mum did not give him the opportunity to, as she relaxed back in her sit to my left.

A line of testifiers had lined up and one after the other, they told about the wonders of God.

"praise God!" one of the testifiers who was a woman said "I want to testify of the wonders of God in my life. I was diagnosed with breast cancer the same time I was confirmed pregnant after 5 years of marriage.  I told God that I needed a miracle and that I wanted to be healed before the birth of my  child.  It seemed so impossible as time was running out but I want to thank God because 5 months ago I gave birth to my baby and was tested cancer free."

Immediately  she finished her testimony, the church erupted with claps and shouts of joy. I was dazed! Other testifiers came up and each had on striking thing to say about God.

Could this really happen?   Was it magic or is God real and able to give miracles?  But he allowed the accident to happen. Could he now heal my dad?
I was confused on what to think or believe. I wanted to believe in the God of miracles but something was holding me back.

"Jeremiah 29:11-12 : for I know the plans I have for you declares the lord,  plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me and I will listen to you" the pastor read out as he climbed the altar to preach. 

I followed his reading as I clutched tight to the Bible in my hands.  It was a new Bible Kunbi's mum handed to me in the morning.  "it's a gift" she said and when I looked down at the Bible uncomfortably, she quickly added " I hope you would one day understand it and find peace in it"

I read the two verses over and over again trying to make sense of it. was my dad's  accident all part of the good plan of God for my life?  Because if it was then it was a terrible plan"
I lifted up my eyes to the pastor as he continued preaching

" I know that sometimes,  if not most times,  we do not see how the plan of God is 'good' for us.  Sometimes we can't see how exactly that plan fits into our lives"
Yes! Yes!  Explain further I thought.

"but the way of God is not the way of man." he continued.  "Every disappointment is for an appointment and God uses all these circumstances  to make us strong and to draw us closer to him"

I was even more confused.. How??

" Remember  Joesph in the Bible.. What was he called -ha! The king of dreams. I had this video called Joseph king of dreams that I usually played for my little boy and he will come and say to me 'daddy I want to be a dreamer just like Joseph' " The pastor said mimicking his son and the church laughed.

"Joseph did nothing wrong? He was a good boy." the pastor proceeded more seriously. "He helped around the house, in fact,  he was the little boy his father loved so much and his father made a coat of many colours just for Joseph. Somebody say Joseph"