6. Four years

Anna POV:

"Hey" I heard someone say. I sniffed and wiped the tears streaming down my face before looking up.

Probably the last person I wanted to see. Dougie. He looked so cute. Why does love hurt this much. His blonde and brown hair was perfect and dont even get me started on his eyes. I ignored his greeting and sat there staring at the wall across the hallway.

I heard shuffling next to me and felt a presence, sliding down the wall next to me. I could see Dougie looking ahead, like me, staring at the wall through my peripheral vision.

"Wanna talk?" He asked. Then I knew.

"Why not?" I asked closing my eyes. It was hard because they were all crusty from the wetness of my tears.

"I don't even know where to start." He said, with a very serious tone.

"Either do I." I said trying to compose myself as I extended my legs in front of me.

The next couple minutes were just silent. Both of us, not knowing what to say to the other. Not knowing what the other would say but at the same time knowing what they would say exactly.

"You know Anna," Dougie started, "I miss you." He said breaking the silence.

I turned to look at him, he turned to look at me and I noticed his eyes were watery.

"What?" I asked, a little confused.

"Four years ago. You left Essex. You left me there, all alone and abandoned." He said. Shit now I felt even more like a bitch. His dad left him and that was bad enough, but his only friend.

"I know." I said, starting to tear up. "I'm sorry." I said. I really didn't have the energy or adrenalin to speak. I was too upset.

"I've thought about you everyday. I didn't forget you. Who could?" He asked smiling, trying to cover up his tears.

"Me either. I've thought about you for four long years wondering what the fuck was wrong with me for leaving." I explained.

"Why did you leave?" He asked.

I looked down at my hands that were laying on top of my lap. "I couldn't take it anymore." I said.

"What couldn't you take?" He asked softly.

Again, there was a moment of silence. A long moment. I couldn't gather my thoughts.

I finally gave in. At least he remembered me. "Remember the girls that bullied me?" I asked.

He sighed. "Those bitches that made my Anna depressed? How could I forget." He said.

'My Anna' what?

"Yeah. They kept telling me how useless I was and so I left." I explained.

He looked at me, sympathetically. "I'm so sorry." He said.

"It's not your fault Dougie." I said looking at his gorgeous blue eyes.

"Still. Why didn't you tell me?" He asked.

It took a little to sink in. "I was afraid."

He laughed. "Afraid of what?" He asked putting a lot of emphasis on the what.

"You would follow me." I said, wincing.

"You're right. I would have followed you. You know what?" He stated then asked.

"What?" I asked wiping the tears away.

"I have been looking for you for 4 years. Not a day has gone by, for me, that I haven't thought about you and wishing I could see you again. Just once." He said.