Chapter 2

I walk into his office and see him in the chair behind his desk. He's on the phone. I roll my eyes-- typical.

He looks up at me and gestures for me to sit in one of the chairs in front of his desk. I reluctantly take a seat and wait for his call to finish. While sitting, I'm able to look at one of the pictures on his desk of him and some of his business partners. None of them are genuinely smiling, so the picture is sort of funny.

You could call my uncle handsome if he didn't have such a somber look all the time, making him look older than he really is. He's the owner of some big company, and he always seems to be on the phone or texting. He's extremely rich, which explains the four different houses he owns throughout the country. Though, he's never at the one here in Clearwater Bay. He's also too busy for any form of love in his life, including the love of family.

"Maya? Are you listening?" he asks.

I move my eyes away from the picture and look at him. "No, I'm not."

I see his lips twitch slightly, but he clears his throat and says, "Well, I suggest you do. I have important things to tell you."

"Thanks for asking how I've been," I say sarcastically.

"What's with the mood young lady? I suggest you change your attitude," he replies quietly yet with authority.

I know that I should stop right there and listen to him, but I'm just full of anger and hurt. He has never shown me any sort of love. He hasn't taken the time to get to know me ever since he took me in four years ago. I'm a useless child in his eyes, and he never has taken the time to really know me. Plus, he's really irritating for multiple reasons that I won't go into.

"You're suggesting or ordering me? The way I see it, is that you're just treating me the same way you always have, like a child. Well, I'm not! I'm sick and tired of you thinking I am!" I exclaim angrily.

Instead of saying anything angry back, he just sighs and replies with, "What am I going to do with you Maya? You're just like your parents."

I feel my face heat up when he tells me I'm just like my parents. Telling me that I'm just like my parents is the rudest insult anyone could give me.

I glare at him and slam my hand on his desk as I yell, "I'm nothing like my parents! My parents are criminals, and you know that that is the worst thing anyone could ever say to me! This is exactly why I can't wait to get out of your stupid guardianship. You never miss a chance to insult me or hurt me with your words every single time you come to visit. I hate you and hate you for always coming here to tell me what to do!"

I turn to leave when he calmly says, "We're not finished."

I turn back around and give him a look of defiance. "I don't care. Since you don't care about me, why should I listen to what you have to say?"

With that, I walk out and slam the door behind me. Instead of going back up to my room, I go out the front door and down to the beach. Luckily, nobody seems to be there, so I have the whole beach to myself. I begin to walk and process what had just happened.

I was given the rudest insult. My parents are criminals and have never tried to change that title. I have made some mistakes, but I have fixed myself. They, on the other hand, had dug themselves into a deeper hole that they never were able to get out of.

My uncle has shown his true colors. I know that when I turn eighteen, I am going to be out of here as quick as I can.

~•~•~
Samuel Erickson's POV

What am I going to do with her? She can't seem to understand that I'm trying to help her. I'm trying to help her from turning into my wretched step-brother. Why can't she see that?