Chapter 33

After what seems like forever of sitting with Uncle Sam just being in the peaceful moment, we decide to go get something to eat at the hotel's restaurant because we're both extremely hungry. He gets up from his spot to change out of his suit, which I don't understand, but he says it's not suitable for him to go down to eat with me in his suit. I roll my eyes. A suit is perfectly fine, right? Anyway, whatever his reasoning might be, it doesn't make sense at all.

My thoughts are interrupted by a knock on the room's door. I sigh and slowly stand to open the door. Uncle Sam calls for me to open the door as I'm getting to the door, so I just roll my eyes and shout back at him that I'm already at the door.

When I open the door, I stop and stare at the familiar warm blue eyes. He gives me his familiar warning smile, and I try to smile back. But, no smile comes to my lips for some reason, so I just stand there staring at him. I don't even make a sound, so he finally speaks.

"Hey, Maya," Nick says softly.

I finally come out of my frozen state when he speaks. "Hi. Um, what are you doing here?" I ask him nervously.

"Well, I was hoping to your uncle for a second, but I can come back later if you two are busy," he replies with his smile remaining on his face.

"Come on in, Nick. We were just about to go eat, but I'm sure Maya wouldn't mind if we waited a few minutes," Uncle Sam says from behind me.

I turn around and see him approaching the door with a smile on his face. He still has his suit on, making me roll my eyes. I turn back to Nick and open the door wider so he can come in. Nick nods at me as he walks past me into the living room area of the hotel room. I shut the door behind him and then join my uncle and Nick.

"What happened to you changing into something more suitable?" I teasingly ask my uncle.

He rolls his eyes and sighs as he sits down on the sofa. "I'm going to go with the idea that you really don't want to know. You just want to make me look silly."

I laugh and sit down in a chair as I reply, "You're right."

He smiles at me before turning to Nick who is standing by the window. "So, what is it that you want to talk to me about?"

Nick turns around and says, "I don't want to do the tour."

My uncle raises his eyebrows and motions for me to leave. I get up and head in the direction of the bedroom but stop and listen in on the conversation like the nosy person I am. "Nick," my uncle begins with a serious tone, "what are you doing? You're the one who pushed for the tour. What's stopping you?"

Nick sighs, and I can just imagine him running his fingers through his hair. "I don't know. All I know is that I don't want to do the tour. I'm not ready for that just yet."

Uncle Sam sighs. "Nick, I don't want to get into an argument right before I go to dinner with my niece, but I have to tell you that you must make up your mind. The rest of my label and your management team are getting tired of you going back on forth on this. They want a final answer, and you have to make up your mind."

"You're right. I'll get going so you and Maya can go eat. I'l talk to you later Mr. Erickson," Nick replies as he begins to walk to the door.

"Wait," my uncle says, causing Nick's footsteps to stop. "I think you need some food. Come eat with Maya and me. I'm sure she would appreciate some time to catch up with you. Plus, I think she needs a friend after the stress of today."