Chapter 23

Those three words are burning on my heart almost four months later as I walk down the halls of Clearwater Bay High School one last time. It's hard to believe that just a few short months ago I sat in my room listening to Emma's wise words. It's hard to believe that I'm graduating and moving on to college.

The flashbacks and dreams from my past also seem like they're from a lifetime ago. I no longer have them, and I'm extremely grateful for that. I can look at my uncle and see him for who he is and not as the man who looks similar to my father.

My friendship with Alli is as strong as ever. She still continues to show me wisdom every day, and I'm glad to have her around to keep me thankful. I can't say the same for Nick. I've only heard bits and pieces about him here and there. He hasn't contacted me. All I really know is that my uncle has gone to New York City a few times to promote Nick's music.

I sigh and close my locker. I'm met with Alli's smiling face. I laugh as I see her bouncing up and down with excitement. She continues to smile.

"Can you believe it's our last day? We're graduating! And, can you believe that you turned eighteen a month ago? Time has flown by!" she exclaims faster than I've ever heard her talk.

I laugh again and sigh. "You're something else, Alli. And yes, time has flown by, and no, I can't believe I'm eighteen or that it's the last day of school."

Alli giggles, and we both go to class. The last day of school goes smoothly, and before I know it, I'm officially finished with high school! I never have to walk through these halls as a student ever again. It's a happy thought.

After school, Alli and I decide to go to the public beach to celebrate. We're not the only ones who think of that. Upon arriving at the beach, we see many of our fellow classmates on the beach or in the water. Alli and I go to the bathrooms to change into our swimsuits and then settle down at the edge of the beach.

I lie down on my stomach and rest my head on my arms. I can't believe I did it. I passed high school, and I'm going to go out into the world to tackle college. I sigh with content and close my eyes. I hear Alli mumbling something, but I just let the soothing sound of the tide help me doze off.

All of a sudden, a pile of sand lands on my back. I jump up in shock and see Cassandra standing next to me with a smug smile. Now, this is a surprise. I've only had contact with her a few times since standing up for myself, and I have no idea why she would decide to bother me right now.

"You dare to show your ugly face here at the beach?" she questions, sending her clique standing behind her into laughter.

Alli begins to stand up like she wants to hit every single one of the girls, but I make her sit back down and stand up instead. "What is it now, Cassandra?"

Cassandra glares at me with her old glare. "You thought you were rid of me, but you were so wrong. You crossed me, and I'm going to make you regret it."

I smirk. "How are you going to do that? School's out. You have no power."

She smirks back at me. "Who says I don't have any power outside of school? Maya," she says as she takes a step closer to me, "never underestimate me. I have more power than you realize, and you'll see it in action very soon. I'm warning you. Stay out of my way."

I don't get the chance to respond because she flips her hair, hitting me in the face in the process, and saunters off with her clique following close at her heels. I sigh and sit back down. I put my attention on Alli because I know she has something she wants to say.

"What do you think she's talking about, Maya?" Alli asks.

I shrug my shoulders. "No idea, and I don't really care right now. I'm focusing on getting my diploma and making sure everything goes as planned with the festival. Plus, I have to meet this Nicole Hart that Nick is sending to help out with the festival."