Chapter 25

"Um," I begin uncertainly, "I'm Maya, like Nicole said. I, um, am excited for this event, and I know we'll all do great."

I know my speech is pretty terrible by the looks I get from some of the people in the crowd. I uncertainly step back a little and look down at my shoes. Why did Nick put me in charge? I'm going to fail at this.

After a few minutes of silence, Nicole speaks again. "Thanks for the encouragement, Maya! Now, everyone, I've assigned you each to rooms. There will be multiple people in each room. The list is on the counter in the kitchen. Please check it and go take your things to your room. I want everything done in an orderly fashion so we can have a meeting in the living room at one-thirty to get this event started. That's it!"

At the end of her speech, everyone moves toward the different pieces of luggage scattered around and then to the kitchen. One guy comes over to where I'm standing with Nicole and Alli and picks up a blue duffel bag that's at my feet.

"Oh, Maya, this is Tanner Campbell. He's the other person who's going to be a main helper. He's a close friend of Nick," Nicole tells me as she introduces him.

Tanner smiles at me and sets his duffel bag back down to offer me his hand. I shake it and say, "Nice to meet you."

He replies, "You too. I've heard nothing but good things about you from Nick. He seems to trust and believe in you a lot."

I don't know exactly what to say to that, so I just thank him. He nods again and picks up his duffel bag again. He smiles at Nicole and doesn't seem to see Alli because he just walks away to the kitchen without greeting her. I turn to Nicole and take a deep breath.

Nicole smiles. "You doing okay? I know this can be really nerve wracking. They're a tough crowd to get through. Don't worry, they'll like you before the festival is over. Just be yourself."

"Thanks," I say.

Nicole smiles again and turns to Alli. "So, you're Maya's best friend. I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you much before. I just had to get those rowdy guys to be quiet. It's hard when there's only a few girls in the group. Tell me about yourself."

Alli clears her throat. "Well, I moved to Clearwater Bay a little after the school year started for my senior year. I met Maya, and we hit it off. Well, after awhile, that is."

Nicole laughs. "Was she difficult or something?"

Since Alli is so sweet, she shakes her head, but I tell Nicole, "Yes. I'm completely different now than when I first met Alli."

"It sounds like you've had quite a journey," Nicole replies.

I don't feel intimidated or nervous around Nicole, so I decide to do something a little bit out of my comfort zone. I say, "Yeah, actually I have. I've grown and changed into a much better person."

Nicole smiles at me. "You know, it may not make any sense, but I understand how you feel. I used to be a pretty horrible person. Then, I met Nick and his family. Everything changed from there."

"Nicki, where in the world did you put me? I can't find it anywhere, and neither can any of the other guys with me," Tanner asks as he walks back up to our group without realizing the conversation he's interrupting.

Nicole gives me an apologetic look and turns to Tanner. "It's the pool house. Just go out the back doors and you'll see it. It's really nice, I promise."

Tanner raises his eyebrow at Nicole and then seems to see Alli standing beside us, so he sticks his hand out and says, "Hi, I'm Tanner Campbell."

Alli smiles slowly and shakes his hand. "I'm aware."