Chapter 28

So, so sorry for not updating last week! I used to have chapters pre-written so I would just have to edit, but I've fallen behind on that! I'm back in school, so that's taking up some writing time.

As you may know, I was away for a week without cell service, and it's really reminded me to not stress so much over writing. Don't get me wrong, I still love it and will continue to write, but I just won't let it consume me all the time.

Anyway, thanks for your patience! Please enjoy this chapter and stay tuned for exciting news coming very soon!
___________________________

Three days later, it's festival week! Despite everything coming down to the wire, it's all completely finished, and I firmly believe that this is going to be the best festival Clearwater Bay has ever seen. I stand in front of the mirror and smile as I think about what everyone accomplished for this event.

"Maya! It's time for you to leave. You want to be on time!" Emma calls.

"On my way down!" I shout.

I pick up my small cross body purse with my phone inside and rush out of my bedroom. When I get downstairs, Emma is standing with my uncle, whispering once again. I shake it off and greet them. They immediately stop talking and greet me. I tell them I'll see them later before I leave the house.

As I'm walking down the path into town, Nicole drives up beside me in a car with Tanner in the passenger seat. "You want a ride?" she asks me.

I nod and jump inside the car. It takes no time at all to get to the festival site. People are already beginning to show up. Nicole quickly parks the car, and all three of us walk toward the stage. As soon as we get there, Nicole whisks me off to the backstage area.

"What's going on?" I ask her as we get to one of the wings of the stage.

Nicole stops and steps in front of me. "Maya," she starts, "please don't get nervous, but you're going to be giving a speech today to kick off the festival."

My mouth drops, and I barely stammer, "W-what?"

Nicole takes a deep breath and explains, "Nick called me last night and told me that he was going to make the announcements for the festival when he was going to still be here. But, he forgot to mention that detail to me, so he volunteered for you to do it."

"Why can't you do it?" I whine.

Nicole raises her eyebrows. "Maya Walker, I get that this isn't something you like to do, but you're going to do it. Besides, what's the point of living if you don't take a few risks? Life is about so much more than just staying inside you're own little comfort zone. Maya, take the challenge. You could be surprised with the results."

I shake my head with a smile. "You're right. Now, what do I have to say?"

Nicole breaks into a big smile and rattles off the information that I need to go over. I get lost in the middle of her explanation. Luckily, she hands me a piece of paper that summarizes all the different things I need to go over.

I look over the paper for just a few minutes before I'm told that I need to go on the stage to speak. Nicole hands me a mic and reassures me that I'll do great. I nod and take a deep breath. I close my eyes for just a second before opening them and putting a smile on my face. I walk out onto the stage with confidence that I've never felt.

People are gathered around the stage, and I begin to speak. My words seem to flow, and I quickly get through the list of events they need to know about. It starts with the festival day today that involves acts singing on the festival stage, and it ends with the play happening in the school auditorium at night.