Chapter 10

"It isn't your place to tell me what to do! Just do your job and leave her up to me! I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing better than you!" I hear my uncle yell as I begin to wake up.

I moan at how loud he is and roll over to look at my clock on my nightstand. I blink a couple of times before seeing the time on the clock. I jump out of bed as soon as I see that it's almost fifteen minutes until ten. I rush to my closet and grab some clothes before slipping them on along with my shoes. I grab my phone and hurry downstairs.

As much as I don't want to give the tour to Nick, I know that I have to show up, and I need to be there on time. I hurry into the kitchen where Emma and my uncle are standing, shouting at each other. They stop as soon as I walk in, but I just roll my eyes and grab a muffin that's on a platter in the middle of the kitchen island.

"Where are you off to?" my uncle asks as I rush to the back door to go through the second kitchen.

"School. I'm giving a tour to someone. Oh, and don't bother stopping whatever you're arguing about. I'm seventeen and have heard plenty arguing in my life. Though, I haven't ever heard of anyone arguing with their housekeeper. Gotta run!" I shout as I run out.

I don't have to turn around to know that they're both probably staring after me like I've lost my mind. I hurry down the path and soon come to the center of town. I jog down the streets with people staring after me as I run, but I ignore them and hurry to the school. Once I get there, I check the time and see that it's exactly ten o'clock. I breathe a sigh of relief and slow down.

"Glad you're here, Miss Walker," the principal says as I walk up the steps toward him.

I just nod, and we stand next to each other in awkward silence. Standing with the principal, waiting for Nick, is not my idea of a fun Saturday morning. I silently beg for Nick to hurry up and get here as the silence grows more and more awkward.

Just as I finish my silent begging, I hear Nick's voice greet, "Hello, Principal Beck. Thanks for allowing me to come tour the school. I'm really excited."

Principal Beck smiles as Nick walks up to us. "Anytime, Nick. This is Maya Walker, but I'm assuming you know her pretty well because she told me that you two are acquaintances."

Nick shakes the principal's hand and gives me a smile. "Yes, we do know each other. Good to see you again, Maya."

I force a smile and an overly sweet reply. "You too."

"Well, now that the introductions have been done, let the tour begin. Nick, if anything goes wrong or if you need more information, please feel welcome to come to my office. I'm sure Miss Walker will give you a satisfactory tour," Principal Beck tells Nick as he walks inside, leaving me alone with Nick.

"Shall we start?" I ask him in my fake sweet voice.

He smiles at me. "You can drop the sweet act. And yes, I would love to start the tour."

"Thank goodness. I thought I was going to have to talk in a sweet voice the whole day. Anyway, here is the outside of the school. As you can see, it is a top notch building," I tell him sarcastically.

He laughs, and I officially start the tour. I try to be slightly serious throughout the tour, but I'm still not exactly happy with the whole situation. He laughs at my jokes and sarcastic comments during the whole tour, surprising me. He seems to actually enjoy my company, which is a drastic change for me.

The tour finally finishes at around eleven thirty, and I lead Nick to the office where Principal Beck is waiting for us. I can tell that Principal Beck is worried that I may have done something to offend Nick, so I simply smile at him and let Nick talk.