Chapter 14

"What do you want, Cassandra? I don't have time to deal with you right now," I tell her as I recover from her slap.

She glares at me darkly and threatens, "You move, and I promise you'll regret it. You don't have little Miss Nerd here to save you, so I'm going to take advantage of that."

All of a sudden, she pushes me backwards, slamming my back against a tree. "What is wrong with you?" I ask, ignoring the pain I feel in my back.

She laughs, and it comes out as an evil sounding laugh. "I'm tired of you acting like you belong. You're a little tramp who is nothing more than a criminal. Stop trying to be someone you're not."

I roll my eyes and stand upright, pushing her slightly away from me. "What's gotten into you?"

She grits her teeth and pushes me back into the tree, making me feel pain in my back again. "Stop talking to me like you have the right. I'm tired of you trying to act like you're this strong person when I know that you're just covering up all your emotions."

I stand upright again and begin to walk away. "I'm not wasting my time on you, Cassandra Beckham. Say and think whatever you want, but you'll never be right about me."

I feel a push on my back, and I fall on my face as Cassandra growls, "Shut up, idiot. You're nothing but a worthless tramp. Show a little respect for the person that can make your life an even worse one. Don't mess with me."

I spit the dirt out of my mouth and stand up, meeting her eyes. "Threaten me all you want. I'm not the one at fault."

"Ugh!" she shouts and then pushes me again with all her strength. "I hate you, Maya Walker. You're worthless and will never amount to anything. I don't know what Nick Caldwell sees in you."

"Are you serious? This whole thing is about Nick?" I demand as I stand, ignoring the new pain I'm beginning to feel from being pushed down.

Before I know what's happening, I feel a sting on my cheek, and I realize that she slapped me again. "How does this make you feel? Helpless?" she taunts as she pushes me back down.

Suddenly, I find myself having to bite back tears as memories of my childhood flood back. "What is wrong with you, Cassandra? What have I ever done to you?"

"You're family ruined my life. You have ruined it! You walk around like you're the victim when I'm the victim! I'm sick of you acting like you've done nothing wrong, and I'm sick of you pretending that you don't know what I'm talking about!" she yells.

I begin to try to stand back up, but she pushes me back down and kicks my side. I let out a groan and say, "I have no idea what you're talking about, so why don't you stop this?"

I feel another kick. "Is little miss criminal begging for me to stop?"

Another kick comes, and I try to reply, but I hear a voice yell, "She's not, but I am. Stop!"

I hear Cassandra's feet shuffle away from me, and I sit up slightly to see who it is. It's Alli, and it looks like flames are coming out of her head. She walks up to Cassandra and glares hard at her.

"Why stoop even lower, Cassandra Beckham? Beating her up isn't going to make you feel better. I know all about people like you, and I suggest you stop. Get out of here and don't lay a hand on my friend again," Alli commands forcefully.

Cassandra glares back at her but runs off after saying, "Just you wait, both of you. I'll get you back."

As as soon as she's gone, Alli comes over to me and helps me up to my feet. "Did she hurt you very badly?" she asks with concern.