Chapter 12 - Producers

"Goodnight! How are you guys doing?" - Eddie asked the crowd, making the cafe scream in response. I was in the third row right next to the two guys that wanted to sign with the band. The taller one was dressed in a black turtleneck sweater, some trousers, his usual pair of glasses and had his hands on his pockets, headbanging to the sound of the music. The shorter one had a oversized formal black jacket, some dark wash jeans and a hat, similar to the ones that Jeff wears. Occasionally they looked at me and just stared or smiled, but if you ask me they just looked creepy.
I still had no idea what happend at Jeff's house, and Eddie and Patrick would avoid the subject at any cost. The rest of the guys didn't want to talk about it either, so I was stuck. As time passed by I just started to make myself belive that both of them were just drunk and stupid.
The gig began and the crowd was screaming louder every time Eddie got close to the public. People were singing their songs like anthems, girls were hysterical just by looking at them, everyone was enjoing the lyrics and rhythms that those five guys come up with in Eddie's house. It was amazing seeing who much their music ment for all those people.
After a couple of songs, Eddie and the guys were soaked in sweat, the public was begging for more and the two guys were smiling from ear to ear, always with their hands on their pockets.
"THIS IS NOTA TV STUDIO! JOSH, TURN THIS LIGHT OUT! IT'S A FUCKING ROCK CONCERT! " - Eddie screamed at the place here the lights that were blinding him were. Seconds after the sound of "Even Flow" was echoing though the cafe. Every time they were on stage all of them become different: Eddie was no more the shy and kind of quiet guy, Stone was a rhythm machine, Mike becomes the most serious guy in the hole band simply playing his tone, Dave was in a hole new planet only with his drums and Jeff was enjoying every single note that his bass was producing, jumping everywhere on stage. Out of the bloom, Eddie climbed to the structure of the cafe when the rest of the band was still playing. He made himself reach a safe pole on the ceiling and looked at the crowd, amazed by the amount of people that were cheering for him down there. He jumped, laying with his back on the crowd trusting completely on the strangers that were singing their songs until they no longer had voice. People passed him around until he reached the stage again, making me wonder how he had such faith in people he didn't knew.
The concert was another success, and after it was done the two guys from "Epic Records" were with us backstage signing a contract with the band. In that moment not even a single one of them could belive what was going on: their pass to enter the music industry.
After the two guys left and the band screamed their lungs out, they decided to go to a snack bar and order some burgers, to celebrate their success.
- I just can't fucking belive it, man... - Mike said looking intensively at his double cheese burger. A waitress passed by and checked out Stone, looking him up and down while he was eating his meal. After she left he said, laughing with his mouth still full:
- Girls are all over us now!
- Just wait until we get an album! - Dave joked, sipping on his Coke.
I laughed at the idea of girls holding on to both of Stone's legs while screaming his name.
- Where is Joe? He didn't came to the show tonight? - I heard Mike asked before getting up and refilling his cup.
- Nah, he said he was tired... He spends the hole day looking for jobs now.
- And Patrick? - He asked from the other corner of the cafe, holding on to his cup, now filled with Coke. This was the firt time that Patrick's name was brought to a conversation since the party in Jeff's house. I had only seen him once since the fight, but besides that no one knew where he was most of the time. Everyone was looking at me worried, except for Eddie who wasn't even looking at me.
- He is probably with some friends... - I nervously said, knowing perfectly that the band were his only friends.
- Oh, cool... - Mike tried to stay calm with the hole situation and regretting asking about Patrick in the first place. Phillipa was doing fine with the hole "Joe situation", and she kept voing to work everyday probably praying for him not to show up. Our table went dead silent for a moment before I decided to break the ice:
- So, what are you guys going to name your first album?
- STONE ROCKS! - The guitarist screamed like he was waiting for me to ask.
- You wish! - Dave laughed in response.
Being with the guys became my shell, my safe place. Being around them was part of my life, and I cringed at the idea of them being famous and leaving the cold Seattle for some exotic countries. On the other hand seeing them succeed and doing what they love to do was what I wished for them, so I was starting to prepare myself for the big goodbye.
- Congratulations guys! - I heard Phillipa's voice run through the bar. Everyone was so happy and there I was, feeling miserable and thinking about negative things that are still to happen.
- Are you staying to eat Miss Phillipa? - Jeff asked her, handing her some french fries.
- Unfortunately I have work tomorrow, I'm just here to pick up Miss Cassandra over here! - She accepted the fries. I got up and took her hand, following the redhead to the exit.
- You leaving without a goodbye? - I heard Eddie's voice and felt his hands sliding down my waist. I turned on my heels and he kissed my lips softly, letting go of me sort after.
- Now you can go... - He whispered, making my body shiver but I didn't had time to answer since Phillipa was pulling me out the door.
-What's going on? Why are you so happy? - I asked her while smilling.
-Why? I can't be happy for no reason? - The cheerfull redhead smirked.
-Of course you can, I would just like to know why.
She didn't answer right away, instead she smiled nervously and looked down to her feet. Slowly putting her head back up she grabbed the jacket she was wearing and started to unzip it. Without any excitation I knew right away who was the owner of that grey Patti Smith t-shirt.
- You slept with Joe!?
She didn't answer me again, instead she started running down the street laughing like a little girl. Joe made her happy, happier than I've ever seen her. We kept on running down the street. It had been raining and the pavement was still wet. She had the biggest smile on her face, a truthful smile. And I was happy for her, I was happy about every single good thing that happened to me since I've moved to Seattle, and even if the band leaves my sight, even if Eddie finds someone new somewhere, and if I get lost in this cold city forever and never find my way out I would still have the moments, the memories, the smiles and the laughs. And that was what made me happy.
- Don't get lost Cassandra! - I heard Phillipa's childish voice screaming while she kept on running.
- I don't intend to... - I smiled quietly before running my feet off in the freezing night.