Clint Dempsey [~] Quieting the Doubters

For elizabeth__21: Clint Dempsey

You waited patiently at the beach's edge for your boyfriend, Clint Dempsey, to show up. The two of you had been going out for more than eight months and you thought it was a good time for Clint to meet your family. Your family owned a beach house on the west coast of the US, and had ever since you were a little girl. Your immediate family, along with a few cousins, uncles, and aunts, were spending the weekend there. You had invited Clint over for dinner on one of the night's that you were staying there and he had accepted.

"So when's you boyfriend coming? That is, if he's even real," your younger brother asked. You were the oldest in your family so dealing with little brats you called siblings wasn't knew for you. You would just wait it out until the right time to strike back.

"He said he's a few minutes away, he just got off the highway," you told your brother, reading the message Clint had just sent you.

"Sure he is," your cousin chimed in, coming to stand over by you and your brother, a 2014 World Cup ball under his arm. "Just like the other guy you showed us once. What was his name again. . . Jeff, was it?"

"Jeremy," you corrected. "And I dumped him like a sack of potatoes right afterwards. He's in the past, so don't mention him, got it?"

"Sore spot, I see," your cousin joked, a smirk edging onto his face. "I bet this new boyfriend of yours is a wimp."

"He is not, he is anything but a wimp."

"I bet we could take him in a game of soccer. He plays soccer, right?"

"Trust me, he'd beat your butts into the ground during the game," you smirked. You hadn't told your family that your new boyfriend was Clint Dempsey, US international and Seattle Sounder player. You couldn't wait to see their reactions though when he stepped out of his car.

"I don't think so, (Y/N). You don't necessarily have the best taste in men," your brother shrugged.

"I do too."

"You do not. They've all turned out to be assholes or wimpy, pathetic losers," your cousin chimed in.

"You say that like I've dated scores of men," you stated dryly. "And I'm a grown woman, I can make my own decisions because I'm still not living with Mom and Dad," you said pointedly towards your brother, who stuck his tongue out at you immaturely.

A familiar car drove up over the hill and you walked over to greet Clint, your cousins and siblings making kissy faces in your direction. Rolling your eyes at their childish actions, you walked up to the side of Clint's car. He opened the door and slid out. "Hope the security at the gate didn't cause you problems," you smiled, hugging Clint.

"Turns out the guy's kid is a fan. Signed a piece of paper and he let me straight through," Clint chuckled. The both of you pulled out of the hug and turned to see your family staring open mouthed at the two of you. Grabbing Clint's hand, you dragged him towards your family, a renewed smile on your face.

"Why are they staring at me like that?" Clint whispered to you, a joking smile on his lips.

"I kind of didn't tell them that you were my boyfriend," you winked, reaching your family. "Everyone, this is my boyfriend, Clint. Clint, this is my family," you introduced. Turning your gaze to your cousins, your smirk widened. "Still think you can beat him in a game of soccer?" you teased.

"Holy crap, you're Clint Dempsey!" your brother exclaimed, running towards you and Clint. "I take it all back, your boyfriend's awesome!" your brother told you, causing you and Clint to chuckle.

"Oh for God sake's give the man some room," your mother scolded your brother, walking up to you and Clint. "Nice to meet you, Clint," she extended her hand and Clint shook it. "(Y/N) hasn't told us much about you, but I'm sure we'll hear all good things in the future," your mother smiled. Your father walked up too.

"I'm (Y/D/N), (Y/N)'s father," your dad stated, shaking Clint's hand.

"Nice to meet you, sir and ma'am."

"Oh please, just call us by our first names," your mother said. "I'm going to start serving dinner soon, so I hope you're hungry." Your mother and father walked away while your cousins and siblings headed over to you and Clint.

"Would you like to play with us?" your brother asked, holding up a ball.

"I'd love to," Clint smiled. You went to help your mother set up dinner while Clint went to play a game with your cousins and siblings. From the kitchen, you could see them running around. You smiled as one of your younger cousins 'nutmegged' Clint.

"He seems nice," your mother said.

"He is," you agreed.

"I thought your father was going to give him our blessing to marry you right then and there. Luckily, he didn't make a fool of himself," your mother chuckled. You blushed. You and Clint hadn't even come close to talking about marriage yet and so the sudden topic made you blush. "Your siblings seemed to have taken a liking to him quickly."

You looked out the window at the small game again, the smile you had worn before returning. "They thought, before they had known it was Clint, that my boyfriend was a wimp who couldn't kick a ball properly," you chuckled.

"You should have bet money," your mother commented. "Your brother's mouth is going to catch up with him one day, just you wait," she laughed. "All right, why don't you call everyone out to the table? Dad should have set it up," your mother stated. You nodded and walked out of the house. Seeing the table perfectly set, you cupped your hands over your mouth and shouted.

"Dinner's ready! Come and get it!" you shouted. People got up and started to walk over to you, taking their seats. One of the last to file in was Clint. You smiled and walked up to him. "My family seems to have taken a liking to you," you commented.

"Your cousins and siblings seemed to think so," Clint chuckled. You led Clint over to the table where your mother and aunts were setting out the food.

"I get to sit next to him! We had a bet!" your cousin told your brother, who proceeded to glare at your cousin. You and Clint looked at each other before chuckling once more.