Chapter 4

We pulled put our text books and started on the project.

"Wait. Why do we need our books? We're just learning about each other, right?" He asked me.

"Oh yeah." I said.

"So tell me about yourself." He asked.

"There's nothing to tell. You know how my school life is. I don't really have a social life thanks to you, so.." I said.

"Sorry, about that..by the way.." He said.

"It's okay..I guess." I said, pushing out a small smile.

I don't open up to people often. I wanted to trust him.

"Tell me about yourself first. It might help me open up, gain your trust." I said.

"Okay." He said, then started.

"My full name is Matthew Lee Espinosa. My birthday is July 7th.  I have a dog named Burnie." I giggled at the name, causing him to smile.

"I used to be in a group called Magcon, you've heard of it?" I nodded yes. The Jacks, Sammy, and Aaron talk about it all the time.

"It was great. Meeting fans, traveling, being with your best friends all the time. It was so much fun, but it came with some harsh consequences. Bullying, belittling, constant hate. I felt like I was letting people down, like I wasn't good enough. I felt alone. I couldn't take it." He said, looking down at his arm.

"Is that why you hurt yourself?" I asked.

He nodded. I stuck my finger under his chin and lifted his face up to look at mine.

"I'm sorry Matt. Nobody deserves to be treated that way." I said.

He looked me in the eyes, his starting to tear.

"I'm sorry I hurt you." He said.

I removed my hand from his chin and placed it back in my lap. I learned something new about Matt. He didn't hurt people because he was a jerk. He hurt people because people hurt him. It's sad when people who gave you the best memories, become a memory. I love him too much to tell him how much he hurt me, because I don't want him to feel bad or worse than he already does. I've never hurt this much for someone before. He doesn't cross my mind, he lives in it.

"It's okay Matt. I forgive you." I said, putting my hand on his.

"How can you forgive me so easily, after everything I've done to you?" He said, tears rolling down his cheeks.

"When another person makes you suffer, it's because they suffer deeply within themselves. They don't deserve punishment, they need help. I know what it's like to make mistakes. I forgive you because I know what it's like to mess up and ask for forgiveness." I told him.

"I don't deserve your forgiveness.." He said.

"Everyone deserves a chance to clean up their mistakes.." I said.

He leaned in and hugged me. It took me a few seconds, but I hugged him back. We pulled apart and I heard screaming. I jumped off my bed and ran to where it was coming from, Matt running behind me. I heard my father screaming at my mother.

"Maybe we would have money if you weren't spending it on stupid shit!" He screamed.

"What? You mean food, I'm sorry we have to eat!" She screamed back.

"Don't talk back to me!" He screamed, raising his hand up to her. I ran in front of my mom shielding her, his hand coming in contact with my face. I brought my hand up to my cheek, holding it.