Chapter 5

I woke up to an empty space beside me. I raised my head off the pillow, rubbing my eyes. I remembered staying with Matt last night and the conversations we had yesterday. I learned so much about him, we got close. I saw the real Matt yesterday. I heard noises coming from the kitchen. I jumped out of bed and dragged myself to the kitchen. I saw Matt at the fridge, pulling out things to cook, I assume for breakfast. He hadn't noticed me walk into the kitchen yet. He put the pan on the stove and started to turn it on. I walked to where I was standing right behind him. I wrapped my arms around his waist and laid my head on his back. He jumped a little.

"Thank you for letting me stay with you last night." I said.

"No problem baby girl. I'd do anything to keep you safe." He told me, my heart fluttering at the name.

"What about school?" I asked.

"You went through a lot last night. I thought it would be better for you to just stay home." He said.

"You looked so peaceful sleeping I didn't want to disturb you." He said.

"Thanks." I said.

He took the carton of eggs from the counter and opened them, picking up a couple and cracking them on the side of the pan.

"You hungry?" He asked me.

"A little." I said.

"Good. Breakfast will be done in a few minutes." He said.

"Okay." I said. I went into the living room and turned on the tv. Spongebob was on so I watched that.

I couldn't help but to think pf my mother. I was so worried about her. My dad can get really intense. I know he doesn't mean to do it, but it just happens. I need to go check on her today.

"Breakfast is ready!" Matt yelled.

"I'm coming!" I shouted back.

I got up and made my way to the kitchen. Matt handed me a plate. I only got a few pieces of bacon and a piece of toast. I took my plate and sat down next to Matt at the table. I didn't really eat that much, not that I didn't want to. I'm so worried about my mom, I couldn't think about anything else.

"You okay?" Matt asked, his mouth full of food causing me to laugh.

"Yeah, I'm just worried about my mom. I need to go see her Matt." I said, choking on my own words. Tears pouring out.

He threw down his fork and put my hands in his.

"We'll go see her." He said. He stood up and kissed my forehead, then placed his plate in the sink. I stood up amd emptied mine in the trash, then placed it in the sink. Matt turned me around and placed his hands on my waist, pulling me closer to him. He pulled me into a hug and I buried my face in his chest. He placed his chin on my head.

"Everything is going to be okay." He said, reassuringly.

"I hope so.." I said, below a whisper.

Matt let me go and I walkes back up thr stairs to his room. I searched through my bag of clothes, searching for something to wear, *The Picture*. I threw my hair into a messy bun, grabbed my phone and walked back downstairs. I texted my mom.

Me: Hey, Matt and I are coming over.

No reply.

Maybe she was still sleeping? I thought. I met Matt downstairs.

"You ready?" He asked me.

"Yup." I said.