Chapter Four- Way to go Beryl

Chapter four- Way To Go, Beryl

Today is one of those lucky days when I return home and my mom is sitting on the couch with a cup of hot coffee in her hand. The moment I stepped into the house I knew something was wrong. But I guess everything was right.

"Mom," I called out still considering how I should react.

Last time I jumped on her and she fell on the left hand and it swelled up the next hour. I want to show how much I love her and how much excited I get to see her but not by breaking her limbs. I love my mom in full piece.

"Beryl," she smiled ceasing drinking coffee and placed the cup on the table.

She rose to her feet with a smile on her face which matched one of my own and I hurried to give her a hug, careful this time.

"What a pleasant surprise!" I said pulling away, the smile never leaving my face.

"I wanted to visit my lovely daughter and see how she is doing. You're growing up." She said with pride in her voice.

"Everyone does mom." I rolled my eyes.

"How are your studies going on?" She asked when we sat on the couch and she resumed drinking her coffee.

"Straight As," I shrugged casually. That's the same result I give my parents every time. After all, I'm a nerd who actually buries her face in books, unlike Jessica.

"I'm so proud of you baby." She said with a smile and I cringed.

"Mom please don't call me baby. You call that dad sometimes. It sounds so... weird." I showed my distaste with a grimace while she chuckled shaking her head.

"Come on baby, you are my little baby." She pinched my cheek with a little more force that made me wince.

"Mom, please. I'm growing up now. I'm no longer a baby." I whined.

"Okay, fine, my girl."

"Ew. That sounds like a girlfriend." I shook my head. "Leave it now. Just call me Beryl."

She laughed at me heartily and I smiled. It's not every day that my parents are home.

My relation with my parents is good. Just because they spend most of their time outside doesn't mean I'm angry with them for not spending enough time with me. During my childhood stage and onset of puberty, they were always around. Just two years ago they started getting more involved in business when dad got a promotion.

"What brings you here?" I asked leaning back on the couch.

"I wanted to visit my lovely daughter. How are you doing?" She asked.

"Perfectly fine." I shrugged.

"So something you want to tell me." She asked raising an eyebrow and I stared at her in horror.

"Mom, I'm not gay," I told her.

She had been asking me this question since sophomore year. Just because I don't have any boyfriend doesn't mean I am lesbian. It means I haven't found the One. As much cheesy as it sounds, it's true. I don't want to waste my time on some brainless jerk.

"I don't see your boyfriend." She argued flatly.

I groaned which was not the only sound the filled the atmosphere.

"Someone is at the door," mom said standing up as she walked to the door.

At this age, parents should be happy that their daughter is not wasting her time with a random boy but my mom wants me to date a jock. Dad is fine with a situation like this. He believes all school boys don't have any brain. My thoughts match with dad in this case.