Chapter Thirty -I'm never going to forget Nick's seventeenth birthday (Part Two)

Chapter Thirty – I’m never going to forget Nick’s seventeenth birthday. (Part two)

The moment Blaise’ confused eyes met mine, an emotion erupted inside my chest. I could have leaped over the moon if that was possible. I wanted to hug him real bad but restrained myself. He sat up slowly and then stretched. His movements were almost stiff, not that of a person who has just woken up. There was nothing sluggish in them. He was alert, ready for any confrontation.

“Good morning, Blaise.” I greeted him sarcastically.

I was feeling really angry. He didn’t tell me about anything. Sure he would have told me about what happened in the night of New Year eve but he decided not to. And here I was worried about him. He told me many other things. Why leave out the most important night? I could have hit him on his head for that. But I was not going to be violent with him.

My emotions were a mixture of relief and anger. He woke up. That was good. But he hid several things from me. That was not good.

There is one thing I’m glad of. Blaise is smart. He sensed the tightening in my voice. Giving me a look of fear, he shifted away from me slightly. We were still seated on the same couch. Not far but not close too. He looked around and then at Emma and Drew.

“Is everything alright?” He asked them and looked at me from the corner of his eyes. I could easily tell that he was nervous.

And I was angry.

“Yeah, now that you are awake. How was your little nap?” I interjected before either of them could answer. Blaise decided he needed to look at me while answering. I probed him with a rise of my eyebrow. He gulped visibly.

“It was fine.” He answered tentatively.

“Are you sure? Don’t hide anything from me. Now that I know of most of the things.” I tried to keep my voice cool but it had risen as I completed my sentence. I was never this unstable with my emotions. The night was charged. I’m never going to forget Nick’s seventeenth birthday.

He had the decency to look guilty.

“Don’t blame him, Beryl.” It was Emma who spoke. “Drew had asked him not to say anything about it to anyone.”

But still. He could have told me something. It was not like I was completely unaware about everything. When I had asked him about his matters with Drew, he should have told me something. Didn’t he believe me enough?

“I’m sorry, Beryl,” Blaise said when he noticed that I was not going to forgive him easily. “I wanted to tell you but I feared that if you knew much, you’d also be in trouble.”

“If I had known enough, I wouldn’t have worried about you so much.” I retorted.

“It’s your matter,” Drew interjected. “I’m not going to stick my nose into it but Beryl, you should forgive him.”

I gave him a look of disbelief. “Really? You are saying this? You?” My voice was accusing. “You are the root of all these problems. Two best friends of my supposed to be crush. My life has changed ever since I met you three. Drew Millers who started all of this. Blaise Anderson who decided to jump into the trouble. And Nick Conman…” what does he do, “…yeah, he’s there to complicate things.” I repeated Drew’s words.

Just when I completed my rant, the door burst open. There stood Nick Conman with a glass in his hand. He entered the room with a frown.

“What’s going on here? Why are the police outside?” He looked between us. His eyes travelled between four of us. “Oh Blaise, you’re up. You missed the show. You should have seen Beryl’s face when Drew shot her. BAM! Ha ha ha! Or should I say SPLASH!” He burst out laughing. He stopped only for a couple of seconds to take a sip from the glass and laughed again.