More Than Meets The Eye -14-

Lol I said this was a shocker turns out I was wrong :L

The world seemed to freeze over, Benson’s words continuously echoing throughout her mind.

Famed . . . Famed . . . Famed . . . you have just been Famed . . .

She blanched, knees collapsing from under her. Autumn almost collapsed on the coffee table if Will hadn’t caught her.

“Autumn wake up,” Will urged, pulling the poor girl to her feet and frowned worriedly. “Snap out of it.”

“I’ll tell them it’s not true,” Opal said, trying to sound cheerful. Despite her incredible acting skills, Autumn saw right through it and found the guilt lying in Opal’s eyes.

Noelle must have noticed too as she had started questioning Opal in the foyer while Will let Autumn recover in his arms. “Opal . . . what did you do?”

Opal’s eyes brimmed with tears as she stared down at her socks then glanced at her shoes in the corner warily. “I may have gotten a little pissed off when I was on my way here . . . the tabloids caught up with me and asked me questions and just to remind you I was really, really pissed . . .”

“Opal,” Noelle groaned, frustrated at how naïve and reckless teens were these days – especially celebrities! “You need to go apologise to Autumn right now and sort things out; part of this is your fault. Part of it is Autumn for doing something so stupid in such a dire situation.”

Opal wiped away a few traitorous tears and nodded. “I just hope she won’t get mad . . .”

Noelle cocked an eyebrow. “She’s been ‘Famed’ because you got annoyed with her . . . I understand how you feel but the case that Autumn wants to figure out needs to stay private and even though you didn’t know that it would jeopardise her whole, silly mission, you shouldn’t have done something so mean; especially because Autumn is one of the most honest, most caring people you and I know.”

Opal’s lower lip trembled as she wiped her tears away and nodded with a sniffle. “I – I’m so –”

“You know who to apologise to,” Noelle said calmly, averting her gaze to avoid upsetting the girl even further. “Go. I’ll handle these idiots.”

Opal lowered her head and scurried away while Noelle opened up the door and took a deep breath. She closed the door behind herself and was immediately bombarded by questions, flashing cameras and loud obnoxious voices desperate to get her perspective.

“All right I have a button in my pocket!” Noelle shouted, authority ringing clearly in her voice which had calmed the reporters down just a smidge. “And it will call up Civil Defence; you know Autumn and her family. Do you honestly think that you could have gotten here without me having backup?”

She dug into her pocket and pulled out the garage key as the reporters backed away in fear.

“You’re bluffing!” someone shouted, the cameras lunging forwards once more like hungry tigers.

“Oh really?” Noelle retorted, placing a thumb over the key remote and smirked as convincingly as she could. Autumn wasn’t the only one in the household who could act. “Ready . . . set . . . g –”

The large sound of sirens rang through the air, shocking everybody on the front lawn of the Pearce household.

Several vans screeched to a stop at the side of the pavement and out piled numerous bodyguards all dressed up in black gear as though they were mimicking shadows.