More Than Meets The Eye -28-

Hard to believe it was a diner when there were absolutely no visitors, no cars, no nothing.

And also because of the fact that all the doors and windows were boarded up with ‘OUT OF BUSINESS’ signs painted in scraggly writing.

But when Tristan saw it, he couldn’t stop grinning even as he hobbled towards it in pain. Autumn reached out to help him when she thought otherwise. Just touching his shoulder might disrupt the bullet inside and cause it to become infected or something. She may have guest-starred on medical sorts of shows but it wasn’t like she knew anything about it!

She left the car as it was, knowing that it would be sketchy if she displayed ownership of the battered car – or at least that she drove in it.

“Ah I love this place,” Tristan sighed, leaning against the boarded door and peered through the slits of wood. “Where is she?”

Something twitched inside of Autumn. “She?”

Tristan swatted his good arm at her and told her to shush as he peered in with the eagerness of a child with his first piece of candy. Autumn clenched her fists. Who was this girl and why was Tristan so happy to see her?

“Melanie!” he yelled, rapping a knuckle on the door.

As Autumn expected, there was no answer and she felt somewhat triumphant. They didn’t need this woman’s help . . . in fact Autumn could probably take care of the wound with a first aid kit. Well not really but she really didn’t like this ‘Melanie’ person at the moment . . .

“Tristan, nobody’s in there,” she pointed out impatiently.

“Don’t play games Melly, open up!”

Melly?” Autumn repeated in irritation, crossing her arms and wiped away a bead of sweat across her forehead. Honestly, did the diner have to be in the middle of nowhere smack bang under the sun?

And did Tristan care about this woman so much to give her such a cute nickname?

Oh for all I know, she’s an old woman and a criminal like him, Autumn thought to herself bitterly.

“She’s in there, I know it,” Tristan whispered eagerly and leaned back. He hobbled backwards when the door started to rattle.

Alarmed, Autumn hid behind Tristan who only wrapped his good arm around her waist and squeezed tightly . . . just like Will did. Another pang another squeeze in her chest yet Autumn chose to ignore it and basked herself in the comfort of Tristan’s touch. She ignored the dreaded guilt. She wasn’t cheating on Will, now was she? She was merely being hugged like a sibling would do . . .

“Who’s there?” Definitely a female voice but she sounded so guarded and wary. Wonder why.

“Melly, it’s me!” Tristan called, his arm squeezing around Autumn even tighter. Autumn could almost feel the excitement rolling off him. “Tristan!” The doorknob rattled loudly and a figure moved in the windows and by the door. Autumn’s stomach lurched. What on Earth was the girl doing in there?

“Tristan!” A petite figure flung herself from the doorway and wrapped her arms around Tristan, knocking Autumn out of the way in the process. “Oh my gosh it’s so good to see you! Ahh you got shot again? Come inside!”

“Yeah and this is my girlfriend Autumn.”

Autumn immediately looked up nervously, her eyes wide. But – but she was dating Will! William Lance, her boyfriend back home who was most likely freaking out that she wasn’t answering her phone!

“Um hi,” Autumn said weakly, picking herself up and brushed the dirt off.

“Oh hello!” Melanie exclaimed, her green eyes wide. “Come in, come in!”