More Than Meets The Eye -30- Final Chapter

Neither of them spoke, sitting distanced on the chairs on either side of Autumn’s bed. Her family and other friends came and went, checking up on her condition but as usual, she was ‘sleeping’.

It had already been five days and they had refused to leave her side.

Melanie was in the room next door with some serious patching up needed but aside from that, she was unscathed.

Autumn?

She had three bullet wounds and the surgery had lasted hours until she finally got the bullets surgically and safely removed. Her ligaments had been torn severely and several main capillaries and arteries had been damaged, just like Tristan had been injured except she had three times as many wounds to tend to not one. Her stomach had somehow survived the bullet though it would need to be treated carefully to prevent any tears. The wound on her shoulder had been the most difficult one, considering the iron pellet had buried itself deep into her bone. It was unlikely that would heal fast but at least it could be nursed back to health

Her breathing grew steadier each day, bringing hope to both Tristan and Will as they sat across from each other, staring at Autumn’s peaceful face, occasionally marred by a pained expression.

When she had arrived at the hospital in the emergency room, she was in major pain and was losing blood at an incredibly fast rate. It had made Tristan so scared, Will included and everybody had been waiting for all eternity until they were told that the bullets hadn’t reached Autumn’s main internal organs but it was a very close call. At least that was one piece of good news.

Finally, Will gathered the courage to speak up and looked to Tristan with tired blue eyes. Both boys had mirroring dark circles under their eyes; such devotion to a special seventeen year old girl who was as devoted herself to her friend.

“What happened?” Will’s voice was quiet, strained and obviously he was keeping himself from attacking the other boy. Autumn obviously showed affection for Tristan which angered Will, especially because she was dating Will but he had been gracious enough to let Autumn make the decision; when she woke up of course.

“She got hurt from my crazy, maniac brother whom I thought to be dead,” Tristan said bitterly. “You heard the story, you don’t need to hear it from me again.”

Will shook his head, anger sparking and he clenched Autumn’s left hand tightly. “I meant between you and Autumn.”

Tristan fell quiet, moodily staring down. “She won’t touch me. It was because of you.” He looked up, locking gazes with Will; blue against green.

Will felt satisfaction and pride well in his chest. Atta girl.

“But it’s her choice,” Tristan added quickly, hope in his voice. Even if Autumn was with Will, she couldn’t deny the fact that she felt something for Autumn. “How’s the show?”

Will was surprised. Tristan was actually spiking up civilised conversation. “Not the same without her. Or Jenna.”

Autumn heard it all, a frown creeping onto her face as the boys felt silent, clutching at both of her hands. She squeezed back to let them know that she cared about both of them equally. Both boys exchanged smug looks, faltering when they saw that the two of them were both satisfied.

“She squeezed my hand,” Will stated triumphantly.

“Mine too.”

A full out glaring war appeared from between them.

“Stop it.” This time, the voice was Autumn’s. Her throat was dry, it felt raw but she forced the words out to get them to stop. “I’m not worth it.”