The Tree ~ Alex

This was it. The final step that sent me over the edge. Metaphorically. I never seemed to be noticed, and I felt like everyone hated me. I had feelings for Johnnie, but he never noticed, he cared more about Kyle. Sure, I had always been jealous of Kyle, but I had always loved him like all the other members of My Digital Escape. And now he was in the hospital. The doctors said he would be fine, but I knew it was a lie. Just like it had been with my brother.

I clenched my fist and kept on walking to the tree, forcing the memories back in my head. I knew exactly where I was going, and exactly what I was planning to do. There was no doubt about it, and I knew what had to be done.

As I walked, I felt my strength fading away, my walls crashing down, the memories returning.

He'll be fine. They said. He'll recover. They said. He never did, and it lead to me never being able to be "fine" again. Johnnie had given me some closure, some escape from my past and what had happened, but once Kyle and him had gotten closer, that closure had slowly disappeared. Now it was gone, forever, with my friend in the hospital and more than half of my other friends broken down and miserable.

I knew all about what happened with Samm and Jeydon in the theater, what Shannon and Amber did, how Kyle ended up in the hospital, Johnnie's little burst of anger. The victims had all texted me, and I knew all my friends were miserable. A small part of me was telling me not to do this, because it would only add to the pain that My Digital Escape was experiencing right now. But my darker side won, and I knew they wouldn't care. Nobody would.

I stopped and looked up at the tree, an old sycamore, with bright green leaves. The roots were tangled, in a mess that they could never escape, like my life. It was actually a beautiful tree, with its happy branches swaying in the wind. The only thing that ruined it's beauty of what this tree was known for.

My hand slid into my pocket and pulled out the rope I had been carrying all this way. This was it. This would be the closure that Johnnie, that My Digital Escape, that nobody could ever give.

"Alex!"

I froze and looked back to see...Johnnie? Of anyone that could be here, it was Johnnie? I turned to him, surprised and slightly bitter. "Why aren't you with Kyle? In the hospital?"

He stopped moving and I noticed his tear-stained cheeks and his red, swollen eyes. His lower lip trembled, but there was also something in his eyes. Determination? That wasn't something I saw often, especially with Johnnie.

"I..." He stopped and took a deep, shaky breath and immediately my mind went to the worse.

My grip on the rope loosened, but it hung on my fingers, refusing to be dropped. "He's dead?"

Johnnie's eyes widened with horror. "No! No, no, no. He's-he's fine. He just needs to stay in the hospital, he's awake, and well, and..."

I waited for him to continue, but he didn't, just kept taking deep breaths and trying to calm himself down. I looked back at the tree and felt as if it was tugging me toward it, but right now Johnnie needed someone. Suddenly, I realized why he could be here. I immediately turned back to him.

"You're not-" 

"No, I'm not. I just wanted to go somewhere where I could be alone," He said, and this he stopped himself with a shocked expression.

I felt my stomach twist. Suddenly, I was very aware of the rope in my hand, which I shoved into my pocket. Thankfully, Johnnie didn't notice, but he still looked horrified.

"Alex, what are you doing here?" He asked.

At that moment, any walls that I had built up crashed down and I felt tears streaming down my face. My emotions were mixing and I had no control over what I was doing or saying anymore.

"What do you think I'm doing here?" I snapped. "It's called the hanging tree for a reason, idiot."

Johnnie looked shocked, but I knew that he knew what I was going to say. He ran forward, almost tripping over a large, tangled root, but he recovered and threw himself at me, engulfing me in a hug. Never had I been more surprised in my life to see how moved he was by this. Maybe he was just a bit messed up from whatever had him crying before. Maybe...maybe he did care about me?

"Alex, no. Don't-don't do it."

"Why shouldn't I? It's not like anybody cares anymore..." I muttered, but he heard me.

He looked up at me and I felt that feeling of butterflies again when I looked into his blue eyes. I felt heat rise to my cheeks. He was so cute, even when he was crying. It was a shame he was still with Kyle. The sadness returned at that thought, but Johnnie's voice, cracking from emotion, brought me back to my lovesick state.

"Alex, I came here crying because Kyle broke up with me. He had a dream about this girl...and he was sure that she was the one, and that he would go and find her when he recovers. So he left me...and at first I was devastated, and I still kinda am, but now I know that this was meant to happen. I was meant to be with you, not Kyle."

I felt my cheeks heat up even more. "W-What?"

He smiled and glanced down at my lips, and suddenly I understand. He loved me, not Kyle. In the back of my mind, I was still unsure, the memory of Shannon texting me about how he blew up at her for landing Kyle in the hospital still lingering in my mind, but now I wanted the closure I had felt before with Johnnie. I wanted to feel what I had before, and he was giving me the permission to do that.

I leaned in and kissed him, and he didn't even hesitate to kiss back. All of my thoughts from before burned up like morning mist and disappeared, replaced with the joy of knowing that Johnnie was finally mine.

Mine.

---

wHOA WHAT IS THIS A STRAIGHT SHIP WHAT

Sorry if you were rooting for Kohnnie, but after watching MDE's most recent videos I've started to ship Johlex and plus Meghan came along so yeah sorry <3

Also, I won't be able to update for 4-5 days because I'm going to Busch Gardens and I won't have my laptop.

Love you guys <3

~Stay cloudy