Missing You ~ Alex

"What the fuck do you mean, Jordan hasn't come out yet?" I snapped in to the phone, my heart racing.

"I...We...I don't know! Can you please get here?" Johnnie's choked-up voice said over the phone.

I ran my fingers through my hair, feeling tears well up in my eyes. While I was hanging out with Kyle and Jeydon, Johnnie called me and explained about how they had to escape the fire and Jordan hadn't come out of the building yet. I glanced over at Kyle and Jeydon, who both looked as shocked and terrified as me.

"Fine. Text me the address."

Before Johnnie could reply, I hung up and threw the phone on the sofa. It bounced off and Jeydon caught it before it could hit the ground. I collapsed on to the couch and buried my face in my hands. Jordan and I actually hung out a lot, and knowing he was probably dead hit hard.

Jeydon placed a nervous hand on my shoulder and I looked up at him, fighting back tears. He looked upset.

"Hold on tight, this ride is a wild one," He said to me quietly.

I just nodded and he guided Kyle and I to the car. On the way, we listened to All Time Low and The Ready Set, but it didn't cheer me up like it usually did. All I could do was worry about Jordan. It was like my brother all over again.

Grit your teeth, pull your hair, paint the walls black and scream, "Fuck the world! Cause it's my life and I'm gonna take it back" and never for a second blame yourself...

"Change the song, please," I said.

Without questioning me, Jeydon changed the song to something by Sleeping with Sirens. I looked through the window, forcing my sobs back and breathing heavily. That was the exact song I had been listening to in my room after I found out what happened to my brother. I didn't want history to repeat itself.

When we finally arrived at the building, we found firemen dragging people out of the blackened entrance. From the looks of it, most of the fire was out, but smoke was still thick in the air and we were coughing badly by the time we made it to the others, who were arguing with a fireman.

"We escaped before the fire touched any of us! We don't need treatment!" Johnnie was yelling at him.

"Sir, this girl seems clearly traumatized, and it is my duty to-"

"Your duty is to save the people, stop the fire, and send people with injuries to be treated. You have saved people, you stopped the fire, and none of us have any injuries, so I am going to kindly ask you for the last time to fuck off," Shannon snarled.

The fireman gave him a death glare and stroked his unsettlingly thick, creepy moustache. Then he sighed and turned away.

"You know what, figure it out for yourselves. If she ends up needing to go to the hospital, don't blame me," The fireman said before walking away.

"What a bitch," Bryan said in a rich girl voice.

Shannon's angry gaze caught mine and she relaxed a bit, waving us over. "Hey, guys. Sorry about that."

"It's fine...have they found Jordan yet?" I asked.

Shannon tensed up and Bryan and Johnnie avoided my gaze. I noticed Amber began crying behind Johnnie. I hadn't noticed she was there. Cathie must've gotten there before us because she was comforting Amber quietly. Jeydon headed over to help Cathie soothe her and Kyle wandered over to see who had been rescued.

I ran my fingers through my hair, the pit in my stomach getting worse and worse. Shannon filled me in with all the details for the next five minutes. When she was done talking, a firewoman came out of the building and stood on top of the firetruck. We gathered around to hear what she had to say, along with many other bystanders and firemen.

"Everyone that we could find has been rescued and the fire has been put out. More ambulances will arrive soon. If you have any questions, please ask me. Be quick, though, because we'll be living in a few minutes."

She came down from the truck and most of the crowd dispersed, but we stayed. Bryan walked forward and looked down at the woman, looking worried.

"Have you found anyone named Jordan Sweeto?" Bryan asked cautiously.

"Not yet, but we're still identifying the last few bodies we found. All the survivors have been sent to the hospital. You can check in later to see if any of those bodies was your friend," She replied in a rehearsed tone.

Kyle walked back over to us from where he been inspecting the bodies, looking grim. "None of them are Jordan."

The woman gave us an apologetic look and turned back to the group of firemen and firewomen, yelling out orders. I forced myself to take deep breaths as Amber burst in to tears again, mumbling something about how it was her fault. I walked over to comfort her, encouraging myself to keep my head up. This wouldn't turn out like my brother. It couldn't.

He'll be found later.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Two weeks later and we still didn't know if Jordan had been found yet. Bryan, Shannon, and Amber decided they would go to the fire department and see if they could find out. I, of course, insisted to tag along, so now we were waiting in the car while Bryan drove us. You could cut the tension with a knife.

When we got there, we practically sprinted in to a clean-looking lobby where a woman with dark brown hair and bangs looked up at us. Her nametag read Allison.

"Can I help you?" She asked unsurely.

"Yes, there was a fire two weeks ago at..." Bryan starting giving her details as she tracked the fire in the computer. "Was there anyone by the name of Jordan Sweeto found afterward? A body? Anything?"

Her eyes scanned over the computer screen before she slowly started frowning. She gave us an apologetic look and my heart dropped.

"I'm sorry, he hasn't been found."

Bryan stumbled back, speechless, and the room was filled with awkward silence.

"I'm very sorry," Allison said.

"No, no, it's fine. Thank you," Amber replied quietly.

She turned around and walked out of the fire department calmly. I hesitated, watching her with surprise. Everyone else looked pretty shocked, too. Shannon nodded politely at Allison and then went after Amber. Bryan and I exchanged a glance before following.

Out of everyone, I expected Amber to burst in to tears, but she seemed calm and collected the whole way back. When we finally got to the house, Bryan and Shannon went in to the house and Amber attempted to follow them. However, I grabbed her arm and pulled her to the side.

She looked at me questioningly, her eyes dull. "Yeah?"

"Is something wrong?" I asked quietly.

"No, everything's fine and dandy," She replied sarcastically. "I just...I knew deep down that this would happen. There's no way he could've gotten out in time after he saved me. And now he's just...ash."

I nodded and put a hand on her shoulder. She tensed up but I decided to ignore it. "If you need anyone to talk to, I'm here."

"Thanks," She replied quietly.

I walked in to the house and went to find Johnnie to tell him the news.

This would be a rough time for My Digital Escape.