Oh, Well Imagine ~ Amber

I lay staring at the ceiling of my hotel room, feeling conflicted. This vacation was so fun, and I loved my friends so much, but something was missing. Sitting up, I looked over at Cathie's bed. Her stomach rose and fell softly and I ran a hand through my hair, sighing. Glancing at the clock, I saw it was a little over midnight. I just couldn't sleep.

I pulled on a hoodie and a pair of sweatpants to hide my pajamas and quickly combed my hair in case anybody saw me. Putting it up in a sloppy bun, I grabbed my phone and left the hotel room.

It was a cold night and the half moon shone over the pool. I walked past it, though, and walked on the winding stone paths through the backyard of the hotel. The soothing sound of the water in the lake calmed me down, the feeling slowly ceasing. I stopped and took a deep breath, breathing in the cold, sharp air of winter.

When I opened my eyes, I saw another person at the water taxi dock. Frowning, I crept closer to see them hunched over the railing, their lanky shape outlined by the moonlight. A twig crunched under my foot and I held my breath, flinching back, as the person turned around.

"Who's there?" A very specific accent asked.

Shaking, I stepped out of the shadows and gave the man before me a small wave. "It's...it's me."

The man frowned and examined me. Feeling self-conscious, I distracted myself by taking in his appearance. He was wearing a bright green shirt and black skinny jeans. His eyes were a beautiful green that I could get lost in, and he had a mane of brown hair. He looked away from me, his frown deepening.

I would've asked him what was wrong, but I was too busy trying to stay standing. Clutching the fake tree next to me, I felt as if I would throw up. It couldn't be....

"My name is..."

"Jordan?" I finished, my voice high and strained.

Immediately, his head snapped over to look at me. "How did you know that?"

I took a cautious step forward and touched his cheek. He took an uncomfortable step back and my breathing quickened. Was this real? It couldn't be. He died two years ago in the fire. Looking at him now, though...he obviously didn't.

"J-Jordan, don't you remember me?" I asked.

"Who are you? How did you know my name?" He stopped himself and his eyes lit up. "Wait, did you know me before it happened?"

I felt like collapsing. "Yes I...I knew you."

"Oh my god! I'm so-I can't believe this! This is crazy! I can't believe I've just met someone who knows about what happened to me!" He grabbed my hand, sending those familiar butterflies through me, and sat me down on a nearby bench. "Please, tell me how I got in to that hospital! Tell me what I did before! Tell me who I was!"

Clearing my throat, I looked at his excited, happy face. I remember when I could see that beautiful smile every day. The happy memories, the forehead kisses, the little giggles and cuddles and jokes we would share. Now he doesn't remember any of it. I snapped out of my miserable thoughts, remembering that he expected an answer.

"You're part Canadian and part Australian and you have two dogs named Lucy and Ellie. They're gone now, though. Off with some other families." I swallowed hard. "You were a YouTuber-which is someone who makes and posts videos to a website for other people's enjoyment-called Jordan Sweeto. You were in a collaboration channel with six other YouTubers called My Digital Escape. You had a lot of friends and a girlfriend and you were so happy..."

I paused to take a breath and stared at his intent face, paying complete attention to me. "But then one day, you were at a building with a group of those friends. There was a fire and...you didn't make it out. Your friends visited two weeks after the fire to see if you had been rescued, but they said your body hadn't been found. Everybody assumed you had been turned to ash. And..."

I stopped talking as Jordan's face fell and he looked down at his hands, playing with his thumbs like he usually did when he was nervous. Not knowing what to do, I distracted myself by letting down my hair and putting the hair band around my wrist. He fluffed out his hair and looked back up at me.

"Those friends...what were their names? What are they doing now? Where are they?" Jordan asked quietly.

"Bryan O'Dell, even though he's known as Bryan Stars, Johnnie Guilbert, Kyle David Hall, everyone calls him Kyle though, Alex Dorame, Shannon Taylor, and Jeydon Wale. You were also good friends with a girl who wasn't a YouTuber, named Cathie Rhodes. They're all keeping My Digital Escape going and they're..." I bit my lip and glanced back at the hotel. "Here."

Jordan gasped. "They're-they're here?"

"Yes. And they haven't forgotten about you," I promised, turning back to look at him.

The excited smile on his face put a sad one on mine. He took deep breaths, grinning stupidly. Suddenly, he stopped and looked back up at me, genuinely curious.

"How do you know all of this about my friends?" He asked.

I let out a shaky breath and looked him in the eyes. "Because I was one."

Silence followed, even the lake growing still. Jordan reached forward, shocked. "You-you were?"

I nodded and another silence followed. Finally, I let out what I had been hiding the entire time and launched forward, pulling him into a hug. He hugged back immediately, breathing heavily.

"I can remember a little bit...I remember a hotel room in Maryland and..." He pulled away and looked into my eyes.

"Amber?"