10- trust me- jasper imagine- part 5

He stood there for a few minutes, occasionally turning around towards the vent. You saw him kneel down, his head now at the same level as yours. You stopped all movement, knowing he would see you if you did anything sudden. His hand reached out to an area you couldn't see, the wall obstructing your vision. When he retracted his hand he was holding a sweater. Your sweater. Your eyes went wide and your heart rate increased, causing your lungs to crave more air. You breathed sharply, the sound bouncing off the walls, catching the guard's attention.

His head shot towards you, your eyes meeting his. He blinked a few times, then turned back around.

"All clear." One of the guards shouted and you could hear their footsteps getting further and further away.

Another pair of legs were in front of the vent, removing it and hands reached in to pull you out. Monty and Nathan stood there, their expressions filled with relief.

"That was close." Nathan said, running a hand through his hair.

"One saw me." You said, still in shock at the guards actions.

"What!?" Monty asked, panicked.

"One of the guards looked right at me, he found an item of clothing of mine and he left. He didn't say a word."

"Why would he do that?" Monty asked you all. The story of the guard was spread around the group and no one could give a logical explanation as to why he did what he did. If he meant to help you, he only made you more anxious about what's to come.

Everyone knew the plan. Most didn't have to do anything, only wait. But those who did had been practicing all day. You figured it would be best to escape at night. It was the most obvious time to escape, but you didn't want to run into loads of civilians.

3.30 am. You pulled a hooded jumper up over your head, hiding your face as the others did the same. There was 5 of you. One peered around the doorway, seeing no guards down the corridor. You hurried over, making your way up to the main room. On the way, people split off. You had explained to them what route you had taken to get from the grounders room to them. They had done exploring on their own and now went off to mark a path for you. The marks they were going to leave were small, and slightly fluorescent. They just looked like doodles and would be barely noticeable for anyone who didn't know they were there.

Monty took you to a vent, which he had loosened in preparation. You climbed in and lay down your sweater, making it look like a blanket that you would sleep under. Using a cloth which the others had apparently taken before you found them, you made a pillow. It looked like someone could sleep there if they had too, so you waited.

5 am. Time passed slowly and you were sure that by now, the others had made it safely back to the room. You hadn't heard any commotion so you knew no one had been caught.

A few minutes later you heard what you had been waiting for. Everyone in the mountain had roles to play, like you did in the ark. At around five in the morning every day, two or three people you lay out table cloths and cutlery for breakfast. Your window of opportunity was quite big, the rest of the people who were to help out didn't arrive until 5.30 am.

The only thing holding you back with the fear. But you had to help your people. So you quickly went over the plan in your head.

- Crawl out of living space

- Make sure mountain men see.

- Run

- Follow marks

- Go to grounder room, or as far as possible

- If caught, Hope you get taken there

- Tell the guards you want to set the grounders free.

- Have blood drained

- Pretend to die

- Escape.

The plan seemed simple, although now it was about to happen you could see all the flaws; what if the guard(s) that catches you doesn't take you where you need to go? What if they don't drain your blood? What if they take your body somewhere else?

You had no time to think about these things, so you pushed them as far away from your mind as they could possibly go.

You started the plan.