11- trust me- jasper imagine- part 6

You banged the metal vent cover reasonably loudly as you crawled out, it was important for you to be seen getting out, that way people would think you were hiding in there the whole time, making the other lot of your group safe and innocent. It would protect them; the leader would assume I didn't get to them, or it was too risky. All would deny seeing me. They would never say that they knew about the blood harvesting. That way they would gain more time.

You had completed the first part of the plan, getting out of the vent. As you stood up, the two workers eyes were on you. You froze on purpose, making your eyes go wide. You had to make it seem like you were alarmed that they were there. They looked equally shocked and stopped what they were doing. You looked back at the vent, just to make sure they knew that you came from there, then you ran. Second part complete.

You took advantage of their shock and ran at just the right time, before they called the guards. You heard heavy footsteps not long after and assumed they were now coming after you. The marks lead you close to the room where the grounders were kept, but of course it was heavily guarded.

"Run after her, grab her! But we need her alive, we're going to drain her out!" one yelled from down the corridor. You shrieked when arms grasped at your clothes, pulling you to a complete stop and off to the side.

A hand went over your mouth to silence you.

"I'm going to remove my hand, but you have to be quiet." A deep voice said from behind you. You turned around when the hand was removed, finding yourself in front of the guard from earlier.

"Why are you helping me?" you asked although what he was doing wasn't actually helping, it was getting in the way of your plan.

"Because I need your help." He said, throwing you into a state of confusion. Why would the guard need your help?

"w-what for?" you asked, pausing to listen to the footsteps which were gradually fading.

"You're escaping." He said. You weren't sure if it was a question but he stayed silent so you replied.

"Yes. I am." You were anxious around him. He might betray you. You had no reason to be telling him this.

"I need you to take someone with you."

"Who?" you questioned. Why would he want someone to escape? "I thought you mountain men couldn't breathe outside. That the radiation is too strong. If I take someone out, they will die. Plus, the suits only last a certain amount of time anyway. It's a death sentence."

"Not if the person came from the outside in the first place." He answered.

"A grounder?" you gasped. "Why would you want a grounder to escape? You're a guard, you're meant to be one of the most trusted, loyal people in this place."

"I am loyal. I'm loyal to her. Listen, her name is vix, she's in one of the cages. I worked there and fell in love with her. I promised to get her out."

"How does that work? You were keeping her prisoner, how could she love you back?" you didn't mean to sound cruel with your words but you needed information and fast.

"I don't think she fully trusts me. But we did talk. I let her out. Made sure she was comfortable. The other grounders hated me for it, but knew it wasn't her fault she got special treatment. Them the others found out. I was banned from working there. She doesn't deserve that life, none of them do. You have to help her, then leave. Maybe you can save the others as well." After hearing his story you were sympathetic, but this would mess up your plan, more than it was already, the guards that were after you would be searching somewhere else.

"How is this going to work?" you explained most of the plan to him and he laughed.

"Your plan was never going to work. They would fell your pulse and know you're not dead, the only way for them to think you're dead, is if you were actually dead, especially as your blood is so special."

"So what do you suggest? I can't just walk out of the front door?"

"No but you can escape through the tunnels."

He explained his plan, stopping whenever he heard the smallest noise.

"Is it worth it?" you asked, getting ready to put your plan into motion. "Surely they will know you had something to do with it, as soon as she escapes."

"They won't. They don't know which one she is. She could be stood right in front of them and they would be clueless. To the mountain men, grounders aren't human, they're animals."