Beacon

~-T-~

Things were different in the Glade. It slowly broke people's spirits, and with all that had been happening it got worse.

After many losses and many tragedies, it got harder and harder to be cheerful.

Newt and Y/N were the perfect example of that. And all the Gladers noticed.

They were the cutest couple in the Glade –even if Thomas and Teresa were there too, they couldn't compare- and their romance made everyone go 'aw' when they saw them. Even Gally found it adorable.

But after what happened with Ben, and Thomas and Teresa coming up in the Box and everything changing, it wasn't easy.

Things were really slowly going back to normal, but it took its toll and everyone was gloomy.

That day was Newt's and Y/N's anniversary and the boys knew that being both so romantic, they'd prepare something.

The Gladers were secretly excited to see them showing their love toward each other, they were so happy together.

But when they both came out of the Homestead that morning, they parted ways without the usual peck. They didn't even say goodbye to each other!

Minho was leaning against the Maze wall, a knee raised so his foot rested against it too. Crossing his arms, he followed his friends with his glare.

He hated to see them so demoralized. And he wanted to help them.

As he stepped away from the wall, he noticed Chuck had been looking at them too when their eyes meet.

Minho had an idea, so he walked over to him.

"Say, Chuck" He started to say, already grinning and feeling like a mastermind. "Don't you think Newt and Y/N should do something for their anniversary?"

"Yeah, but they're still affected by all that's been happening" Chuck sadly said. "They don't seem too eager to celebrate it"

Minho smirked and held a finger up.

"That's what we're going to change, my friend"

Chuck squinted his eyes and stared at Minho with a puzzled look.

"How?"

Minho whispered something in his ear and Chuck's expression changed to pure excitement.

"I have to run, but tell Thomas and Teresa about it, we need their help"

*

The couple was silently working on the Gardens.

Every once in a while, they would look up from their work and smile at each other shortly. And that would be it, nothing else.

They had too much on their plate to be worrying about being romantic. Even if they didn't, the last events made them feel apathetic and they didn't feel like being sappy.

"Y/N, Newt!" Chuck's voice broke the silence, alarming then.

"Bloody hell!" Newt mumbled under his breath, since the kid scared him. "What's wrong, Chuckie?"

Y/N stood up and got closer to the kid.

"I have something to show you!" The boy beamed, taking their hands and dragging them into the Deadheads.

"I don't think this is the time to be-" The girl began to say, but Chuck seemed so excited that Newt shook his head, asking her to not to burst his bubble.

She knew he was right; she should let the kid have the things that made him happy. And more during dark times like those.

Chuck kept leading them further into the forest, and the couple looked at one another in confusion.