Prologue

"NO!" He screamed at me, grabbing one end of the keyboard and flipping it over. I covered my ears as a horrible sound echoed through the empty auditorium. "YOU DID IT WRONG!"

"I did it just like you-"

"No you didn't," He snapped at me, cutting me short as he began to pace back and forth, running his fingers through his hair. "Goddammit, Evie, how many times are we going to have to do this?"

I sighed, hanging my head low.

"Huh?" He asked me, approaching me and grabbing my chin, forcing me to look up at him, "Answer my question."

"I-I-"

"Don't know? You don't know?" I swallowed hard, sweat dripping down my face. He threw my head back and turned away from me, "You disappoint me, Evie. You really do."

"I'm sorry," I muttered, shaking my head, "I'll do better. I promise."

He chuckled, "You'll do better. You promise." He spun around and flashed me a pitiful look. "You don't get it, Evie. And you never will. Until you get it right." He picked up the metronome from the stool placed in the center of the stage and tossed it to me. I flinched but successfully caught the device. "Tomorrow you better have it right. Or else you and I are done here. For real this time." And with that, he walked off into the shadows.

The door clicked shut behind him and I was left alone. I glanced down at the metronome and bit my lip.

...Tomorrow you better have it right...Or else you and I are done here...For real this time...