Chapter 12

"Evelyn!"

I looked up from the book I was reading on campus ground, sitting underneath a tree in the shade, to see none other than Patrick jogging over to me. God, he looks ridiculous. I rolled my eyes and closed my book.

"Evelyn, what do you think you're doing?"

"Well, I was reading before you so rudely interrupted me. But you know, it's fine. I wasn't totally just about to finish it or anything," I replied with as much sarcasm as I could muster up, "What do you think you're doing?"

"I've been looking everywhere for you," He retorted, extending his hands outward as if he was going to help me up. "Come on."

"What? Why?"

He laughed, "What do you mean? Were you just so traumatized that your stupid little boyfriend cheated on you that you forgot we had a lesson today?" I scoffed and crossed my arms. The nerve of this guy. He wiggled his fingers, "Now come on! We're wasting time!"

"I told you I don't want to take lessons anymore," I muttered, reopening my book and beginning to read from where I left off, "So if you don't mind, I'd like to see how this book ends..."

He sighed, "The girl gets with the guy, they have a baby and they live happily ever." He grabbed me by the arms and pulled me up, which in turn made me yelp in surprise. He snatched the book out of my hands and picked up my backpack, shoving the book in it. He pushed my backpack back at me and said, "There, you happy? Let's go." He spun around and started making his way back to the main building of the University.

"Patrick, I don't want to learn from you anymore!" I screamed at him, finally fed up with him. He stopped in his tracks. "I'm done learning how to play piano and I'm sick of putting up with you and your arrogance. Your threats mean nothing to me anymore, okay? I'd actually prefer it if you told me that 'you and I are through' because I don't want to do this anymore!"

He spun around and crossed his arms, "So you're giving up."

My cheeks began to burn up, "No, I'm not giving up, I just-"

"No, I get it. Your boyfriend slept with a girl that wasn't you, and the only reason you put up with me - for what, a few weeks? - was because you wanted to show him that you were the one for him, the girl who would do anything and everything for him. But let's be real here: he doesn't love you, he hasn't for a while. So why continue doing something you started doing for him? Right? Because it's not going to change anything. He's not going to realize how lucky he was to have a girl like you in his life. He's not going to realize that he made the biggest mistake of his life betraying you like that."

I blinked away the tears forming in my eyes.

"We're stronger than this, Evelyn. We don't need them to feel like we mean something in this world. We don't need to do things for or because of them. We need to do things in spite of them. She wanted me to find a job that doesn't require as much traveling, and I did. But too bad she didn't stick around for it, huh?"

I raised my eyebrow, "What are you even talking about?"

"And you? You're going to learn how to play piano and your boyfriend's going to regret cheating on you," He went on to say, never answering my question, "So get your ass over here, stop being so stubborn, and let me teach you how to play this song!"

I laughed sadly, "What part of 'I don't want to do this anymore' don't you understand, Patrick?"

"I'm not giving you a choice, Evelyn."

"And what makes you think you can do that?" I folded my arms over my chest, "Are you the fucking Queen of England?"

By now, we'd attracted the attention of the other students who were passing by but had stopped to watch what was going to happen.

Patrick remained silent, his cheeks turning pink.

"You don't own me, Patrick. You can't tell me what to do. And if I don't want to continue with your piano lessons, I'm not going to continue with them. Now, I appreciate you helping me, I really do, but I don't need your help anymore. So stop bugging me. Because I'm getting sick of your bullshit attitude and how you walk around like you shine brighter than everyone else."

He chuckled, "So what? Just like that? You're done?"

"Yes! How many times do you want me to say it? Do I need to scream if from the rooftops for you to hear me? Because I will if that's what it takes to get that through your head."

"No need to, Evelyn," He put his hands up in surrender, "I got you loud and clear. I'll leave you alone. I just wish you hadn't given up like this, you were just starting to finally get good." And with that, he turned on his heel and stalked back towards the building.

Everyone's eyes were on me, and that feeling was the worst feeling I'd ever experienced. The tears I held back the whole time Patrick was around flooded from my eyes as I snatched up my backpack and ran away.