Chapter 8

I was about pull my car into my driveway when I noticed another car parked in my normal spot. I heaved a sigh and just pulled up to curb, assuming the car belonged to Josh. But if it wasn't dark out and if I was paying more attention, I would've realized that it wasn't his car.

I walked into the house and closed the door behind me, "Tyler, I'm home!" I announced as I dropped my bag to the floor and walked into the kitchen, snatching a wine glass from the rack and pulling out a bottle of wine from the refrigerator. I poured the red liquid into the bowl of the glass, waiting for Tyler to respond, which he still hadn't.

I set the bottle down and heard hushed murmurs coming from upstairs.

"You need to leave! Like, now!"

"How am I supposed to leave if she's down there? She'll see me!"

"I don't know, Jenna, but you need to get out of here. Because she can't find us, okay?"

"Jenna?" I whispered angrily, the wine glass shattering in my hand as I clenched it into a fist. Bits of glass mixed with the wine fell to the floor, splashing onto the tiled floor and staining the bottom of my white jeans. I released my hand, pieces of glasses wedged into my skin and blood tricking down the creases of my palm.

I quickly snatched a couple of paper towels from the roll and got down on my knees, beginning to clean up the mess I had made just as footsteps pattered down the stairs, following through to the kitchen. "Hey, babe," I heard Tyler's voice, "Sorry I didn't come down sooner. I had just stepped out of the shower."

I glanced up over the island counter top and saw that he had a towel wrapped around his waist, his hair wet and sticking to his face too. Wow, he was really covering up the fact. Would've worked too if I hadn't overheard him.

"What happened?" He asked, walking around and seeing the wine spilled everywhere. "Oh my god, let me help-"

"No I got it," I cut him off, playing along with his lie, "You can go finish drying off."

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I'm twenty years old. I think I can handle cleaning up a spilled drink."

"Alright," He leaned in to kiss me when I moved away. A baffled expression appeared on his face, as if he didn't know. "What's wrong?"

Oh, I don't know, maybe that you're fucking my coworker in our bed while you're still dating me. Just taking a guess there.

"I've just had a really long day, Tyler. I'm not really in the mood for anything."

"O-Okay," He stammered before hesitantly leaving the kitchen. I sat back on my heels and threw the paper towels down on the ground, covering my face with my bloody hands and failing to hold back the tears that were forming in my eyes.

Now I knew why there wasn't the connection we had when we first met, why he didn't love me anymore. Because he'd found someone new - my own coworker. I bet you she didn't even go to the thing Joe, Pete, and Andy were going to and just asked me to take her shift so she could sleep with my boyfriend while I wasn't home.

I regret not going with them. I shouldn't have come home.

I dropped my hands in my laps and heaved a shaky sigh, trying to steady my breathing.

A metronome produces regular, metrical ticks and helps you keep a steady tempo as you play, Patrick's voice rang in my ear.

I wiped the tears away from underneath my eyes and rose to my feet, holding onto the counter for support. I hung my head as I tried to control my breaths, remembering the sound of the metronome. Once I was better, I walked out into the front entryway, ready to confront Tyler, just in time to Jenna standing at the top of the staircase, about to make her great escape. Her eyes grew wide when she saw me.

"Evie."

I crossed my arms, replying kindly, "Jenna, hey! What are you doing here? I thought you were going to that show."

"Oh, I-I did," She stuttered as I tilted my head to the side, anticipating her fabricated explanation, "I left early though and came here because...because..." Her voice faded away, unable to finish her explanation.

"What? Because...?" She stared at me blankly. "Let me guess, Tyler was also at the show and the two of you met up and for some crazy reason he brought you back here to fuck your brains out?" I lost my cool.

Jenna's face dropped, "Evie, I can explain..."

"Explain to me what? I took your shift for you..." I remarked, holding back the tears I wasn't going to shed for her. She wasn't worth it, and neither was Tyler. "...so you could go to that show. And being the person I am, I believed you. But instead you come to my house and sleep with my boyfriend."

"Evie, I'm so sorry," She rushed down the stairs so that she was standing in front of me, pulling me into a hug I really didn't want. "I didn't mean to hurt you. I didn't mean for you to find out. This was just a one time thing."

"Just a one time thing?" Tyler croaked. I looked up and saw him standing where Jenna previously was. "What are you talking about 'just a one time thing'? I was going to leave Evie for you!"

I pushed Jenna away from me and threw her to the side. She fell into the little table we had by the door, the one with the lamp and bowl for keys. "You were going to leave me?" I shook my head in disbelief, "You're a fucking bastard, Tyler Joseph. You're a liar, you're a cheat, and I can't believe I wasted four years of my life on you."

"Evie, wait!" He cried as I grabbed my coat and went to leave. He grabbed me by the arm and turned me around so I was facing him, "Evie, I-I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I-I don't want to lose you."

"Well you should've thought about that before you got together with my coworker," I ripped my arm out of his hand and spun around, opening the front door and leaving.

I took a few steps when I realized that this was my house. I shouldn't be the one leaving. So I walked back in, finding Tyler helping Jenna and asking if she was okay. The two of them looked at me with wide eyes and I pointed over my shoulder.

"Get the fuck out of my house. Now."