Chapter 15

"I met her back in, like, 2000, and we just hit it off," He explained to me, purposely avoiding my gaze as he kept his head low and twiddled his thumbs in his lap, "Like, I mean really hit it off. I'd never felt the way I did about her about any other girl before. And it wasn't long before the two of us started dating.

"Things were great for the longest time. Like, really great. She and I...it was like we were meant to be. But then...I don't know," He shifted awkwardly in his chair, "Things just...changed, I guess."

Patrick was dropped off at his house, the guys and him all a laughing mess having went out to a bar that night to celebrate the end of their Believers Never Die Tour Part Deux. "Bye guys," He waved to Pete, Joe, and Andy, two of whom were just as wasted as Patrick was. The three waved or shouted goodbye back and the passenger side window was rolled up, the car pulling away from the mouth of the driveway.

The singer turned around, his bags rolling behind him as he walked up the driveway and walkway leading to his front door. He pulled his keys out of his back pocket and began flipping through them, looking for the one that matched the lock. In doing so, he ended up losing his grip on the keys and dropped them. "Fuck," He muttered, bending down. But before he could retrieve what he dropped, the front door swung open.

He looked up and saw his girlfriend towering over him, her curly hair pulled back into a messy bun and her eyebrows knit together angrily. He smiled humbly, none the less, "Hey, hon."

"Where have you been?" She coldly greeted him, "You said you would be getting back four hours ago."

"We did," He replied, scooping up the keys and putting them back in his pocket, "But we decided to go out for a couple drinks. Nothing to worry about." He brushed past her, dragging his bags in with him, and started to go upstairs.

Elisa grasped the doorknob and slammed the front door shut, turning around to face him, "Well it would've been nice of you to call or something to say you were doing that."

Patrick froze on the step he was on, turning his head to glance back at her.

"You had me worried sick!" She screamed at him, "You weren't picking up your phone and you didn't tell me anything!"

"I didn't think it'd matter so much," He replied, not finding the wrong in what he did, "God, Elisa, you're worrying about nothing!"

Tears began to waver in her eyes, her heart pounding against her chest and her lip quivering. "Worrying about nothing? Patrick, I didn't even know if you came back safely. What if something happened?"

"Nothing did, though!"

"How was I supposed to know?" She cried, "You didn't tell me!"

Patrick shook his head, not wanting to deal with this again, not tonight, and walked back upstairs, mumbling under his breath, "You worry too much, Elisa."

The two of them were getting angry with each other, something that had become common fashion with them the past few tours, or whenever Patrick had to go away for "band reasons" (as Elisa dubbed them). He would go away, and when he come back, the two would argue. Over what was, for the most part, consistent, with her not knowing what he was up to and him feeling that it wasn't his obligation to tell her every detail of his life. Their conflicting opinions usually fueled the flame that always burned beneath them, causing it to grow.

Usually after he and she yelled it out, released all their pent up feelings and thoughts, a bucket of water was poured over the flame and everything went back to normal. But not this time.