Chapter Six - Recruit Me

Finding The Quilted Cow had been easy after the cloaked man had given her the correct directions. She had reached the Inn in the absolute last moment as the innkeeper was locking the door. It took some persuasion and a small amount of her fortune to get a room this late, but eventually, the innkeeper had caved and let her in. Emaia was looking forward to spending the night in a real bed, after a good long bath. After her last two difficult nights, she needed a good washdown and hopefully could scrub a few of the bad memories away, too. Though one memory she didn't let go of; Meeting her mystery savior.

Emaia had barely stepped inside the Inn before she in the far corner of the tavern saw a person she recognized. It was Dashel and he was with Hanke and two other men whom she didn't know. It was just her luck that they were still up.

"Dashel!" She called and eagerly headed towards him. By the sound of his name being called out, he looked up and around until his eyes landed on her.

"Em! What are you doing here?" He said surprised and stood up from his chair. The men around the table all turned to look at her as well. They looked less enthusiastic than Dashel.

"You told me to come if I changed my mind," Emaia smiled. "So here I am."

"Unbelievable," Dashel exclaimed and burst into a wide smile. "I can't believe you actually came! You seemed so determined to stay?"

"Things changed," Emaia curtly replied and looked at the watching crowd. "I hope your offer still stands. I don't know if I can ever return home now."

"Of course it still stands!" Dashel grinned, but it was cut off by the man Hanke, clearing his throat.

"And what offer is that, Dash?" He bickered and shot him a skeptical glare.

"I told her she could join us," Dashel said and held out a chair next to him, offering Emaia to sit down. "I met her in Rochess and I thought she could be of help to us."

"Ye' did what?!" Hanke shouted and nearly choked on his own saliva. "Since when did it become ye' choice who we recruit and who we don't?!"

"Oh, come on Hanke, we both know that we could use a woman in our ranks," Dashel snapped as Emaia hesitantly sat down. She wasn't sure she was welcome. "She is a fine, decent woman with her heart in the right place. What's is the problem?"

"The problem?!" Hanke seethed. "She is a bloody woman, that's the problem! If I wanted a woman's blood on my hands, I would lay with me wife on her bleeding days!" He shouted vigorously. "How could you think of inviting a woman to our group?!"

"Hanke, she made a very valid point to me back in Rochess," Dashel argued. "She asked if we in this new world of ours allowed women a voice to speak. It got me thinking; if we are fighting for all mankind, should that not also involve women then?"

Hanke seemed to be having a heart attack; he opened and closed his mouth multiple times before he eventually closed it. He was also turning a violent crimson color.

Emaia thought this might be a good time to intervene. "Excuse me, might I speak?" She asked and looked to the other two men who seemed to be quite taken aback as well.

"Speak your mind, Em," Dash said and nodded.

Emaia was glad about his encouragement and it only helped her get the words out of her mouth. "I don't wish to be a bother, but after what Dashel told me back in Rochess," She looked gratefully at Dash, "I haven't been able to put it off my mind. He spoke greatly about how you wanted to change the world and make a better future for our kids and their kids, and so on. As the carrier of those future children, don't you think that women should have an opinion in this matter as well?" Emaia asked and raised a pointed brow at all of them. "I've left my home because I believe in your cause, and I wish to help you achieve them. I'll help in whatever way I can," She finished and folded her hands on the table. Now she waited for their reply.