Chapter Eleven - Assist Me

The town of Smithers was a beautiful place. The market was painted earthly blue and green colors, and the houses were covered in thick ivy. The salesmen sold everything from herbs and potions to fine armory and weapons.

"Everyone knows the drill," Hanke said and looked to his men. "We know what we're fighting for and we know what we want. Target the men who stand alone and spread the word. Those who don't speak the common tongue, ye' move past. We meet here again in three hours. Got it?"

The men all nodded and spread out in different directions. Some went alone, others went in groups. Since Emaia had done her part, she was left to do what she wanted. And Emaia knew exactly what she wanted.

"You want what?" The bitter weapon salesman drawled at her. "This is no booth for a woman! Go check out the seashell jewelry down the road."

"But I—"

"Scram, toots."

"The woman said she wants to look at your weapons."

Emaia froze when a shadow covered her own. The sound of Aide's melodious voice sounding so hard was even more surprising.

The salesman looked up at Aide who towered behind Emaia in his black attire and hood. He had hidden his silver hair thoroughly today and his ears were covered by the cloak. The only feature that stood out suspiciously was his pale skin. Smithers was a town located close to the warm eastern borders that was lit with the sun all day long. Pale skin was not seen very often around here.

The weapon salesman narrowed his eyes suspiciously at him. "And who are you?"

"I don't believe that's any of your concern," Aide coldly replied, "The woman wants to look at your throwing knives and daggers. Do you have a problem with that?"

Emaia glanced up at Aide and found him staring harshly at the salesman. The salesman eventually caved and snarled at him. "Whatever."

While he pulled down a different assortment of his weapons, Aide's eyes landed on Emaia. She smiled gratefully up at him and was happy to see him. After he had disappeared last night, she was glad to see that he was fine.

Aide gave her a quick smile and then turned his attention back to the salesman. He laid out the assortment of knives and daggers on the counter and crossed his arms. "Here you go. Does the lady want to try them too?" He snorted.

"She will," Aide replied before Emaia had a chance to respond herself.

The salesman scoffed and rolled his eyes, but then left them to it and resumed manning his desk. It was obvious he didn't approve of a woman seeking to buy a weapon.

"Don't mind him," Aide said and picked up a dagger, "Here, try holding this."

"I—uh... how do I hold it?" Emaia hesitated when Aide held out the small dagger for her.

"Let me show you." He smiled. He gently took her hand and placed the shaft in her palm. "Always hold the blade downwards, like this. I know it feels more comfortable to hold it the other way, but it's easier to stab someone this way if the situation should demand it."

Emaia cringed a little at his words. She didn't want to imagine stabbing anyone, but at least this way she knew she wasn't the one getting stabbed either.

"Alright, now hold it up, like this," Aide instructed and pulled her hand up to chest-level. "It's a classic stalk-pray stand. You hold your dagger prepared that way, and maybe a lantern in your other hand, like this, if it's dark. Always keep your weapon on top and your other hand under."

"Wow," Emaia breathed impressed and looked at the dagger. "I had no idea."

"The human race doesn't teach women how to protect themselves. Why am I not surprised." Aide commented and started inspecting the throwing knives carefully.