Backbone

Blake’s POV

“Alright baby, are you ready?” I asked Jayden, checking my watch and handing him his backpack in the school parking lot. he looked adorable in his t-shirt and khaki shorts.

“I think so mom. Are you going to remember to take care of Marvel while I’m gone?” he asked, looking up at me. I crouched down to his height with the brightest smile on my face.

“Of course I will buddy. No give your mom a hug before you go.” I said, wrapping my arms around his small frame.

“I wish daddy was here.” Jayden whispered into my ear sadly. I squeezed him harder and tried not to let my anger show.

“Me too, but he was busy. I’m sure he is very upset to be missing your first day of school.” I replied the best I could. “But enough of this. You don’t want to be seen hugging your mom, do you?” I joked, unwrapping him from my arms.

“Don’t worry mom, I’ll never be embarrassed of you.” he responded cutely.

“I’ll remind you of that when you’re a teenager.” I mumbled, watching him run off, waving over his shoulder, towards the school and his first day of kindergarten.

I waited until he was inside the building before turning around and climbing back into my car, completely ignoring the few paparazzi across the street of the school.

I fished out my iPhone from my purse to quickly dial Justin’s phone. It rang once then went to voicemail, making me realize that he just ignored my call.

“Hi Justin. I just wanted to call and let you know that once again, you missed something you were supposed to be at and once again, I had to explain to Jayden why his dad wasn’t at his first day of school. I hope it’s a good reason this time and not that you feel asleep with Amber again. Call me when you get this.” I rambled angrily into the phone before harshly ending the call and throwing the phone into the passenger seat.

I tried to remain calm and collected every time Justin did something like this. It all started on our anniversary night. I trusted him and I knew nothing was going on between him and Amber but it still pissed me off when things like this happened.

***

“She sounds like a bitch that is just looking for someone to pay her fucking medical bills!” Hazel screamed angrily as a lady finished painting her left hand a bright orange color. I smiled apologetically for Hazel’s outburst at the woman doing my nails, me choosing a more modest red for my nails.

“How would you know, you haven’t met her!” I shot back, getting defensive.

“Have you?” Hazel spat.

“That’s not the point!” I defended myself.

“Blake, I don’t get what you don’t see. You have been dealing with this shit for a whole month.” Hazel said quieter.

“I trust Justin, you know, my husband?” I replied bitterly.

“I’m trying to be a good friend and warn you. I could be totally wrong, but it’s at least something you should think about.” Hazel pleaded with me.

My mind drifted back to all that had happened in the last month. Jayden had adjusted to school well and loved it more than I had expected. He didn’t realize any of the issues between Justin and me because he shouldn’t have to. I made sure to always have an excuse when Justin didn’t show up, and so far, Jayden hadn’t questioned any of them.

Justin got worse and worse as the days and weeks went by. He used to apologize whenever he was with Amber and missed something. But now, he just blows it off and expects me to be ok with it.