A Tiny Flame

Chapter 5 - A Tiny Flame

The rest of the afternoon couldn't have been more different. The change in Ziva's demeanour was remarkable. It felt so good to have his happy little ray of sunshine back. Gone was the sullen, sulky child from the last couple of days and Gibbs couldn't be happier. He wasn't sure how permanent the cheerfulness was going to be, but he was happy to take it for as long as it lasted.

"Do you think Jenny needs another bottle of water?" Ziva asked Gibbs for the third time that afternoon as they sat on the couch watching a movie.

And, for the third time, he gave the same answer. "She's fine Ziva. She's trying to sleep so let's just leave her alone for a while."

"But she might be thirsty," said Ziva, straining her neck to look up the stairs. "And she said I was such a big help to her when I brought the last bottle of water. Maybe I could just get another one for her."

She started to scramble off the sofa, but Gibbs grabbed the bottom of her shirt and pulled her back. "No Ziva. I'm sure you were a wonderful help before, but Jenny doesn't need any more water. She needs to sleep. OK?"

Ziva sighed and leaned back into the sofa. "Ok," she relented. "But, when you think she might need more water, you let me know so I can bring it, Ok Daddy?"

"Yes Ziva. I will let you know," Gibbs assured her.

"Ok Dad, your turn," said Tony handing the DS to Gibbs. They were on their third round and the score, not surprisingly, was 2-0 in favour of Tony.

Taking the game, Gibbs squinted at the screen. "So, it's these funny yellow monsters that I have to shoot at? And I have to run along this path and jump over these things?" he said pointing to the screen.

"Yes Dad," said Tony sighing. He really couldn't understand why his Dad was finding this so difficult.

"You know Tony," said Gibbs. "It would probably help if I could actually see the screen....damn!" he cursed as his little character suddenly went green and shook.

"Daddy!" reprimanded Ziva.

"Dad, you just lost heaps of energy then," said Tony getting frustrated. "You have to jump over those mushrooms or they zap you."

"Yeah, I get that," said Gibbs as yet another mushroom suddenly appeared in front of his little man causing him to shudder once again.

Ziva giggled.

Gibbs looked at her and said scornfully, "Are you laughing at me Missy?"

She covered her mouth with her hand and sniggered quietly, focusing on the movie.

Turning back to the game, Gibbs saw another mushroom looming ahead.

"Ha!" he cried triumphantly as he managed to make his little character jump over it.

"Shi...ps!" he said as he jumped into a flying alien.

Ziva, not fooled for a second at the change in word, rolled her eyes.

He watched as his little man made an over dramatic display of withering to the ground and disappearing while the words 'you lose a life' flashed on the screen. As if he couldn't work that one out for himself. He had enough of people telling him what was happening, he didn't need an electronic toy stating the obvious as well!

His second life lasted marginally longer as he successfully jumped three mushrooms and shot two aliens before succumbing to the likes of the poisonous vine that apparently liked to hide to the right of the screen. When the game once again informed him that he had lost yet another life, he set about starting his third and final life with the goal of managing to at least pass the first section. Unfortunately, the game wasn't in a cooperative mood and, within the first forty seconds, Gibbs was told for the third time that afternoon, 'GAME OVER'. Handing the game back to Tony he said, "That game is rigged so that it only works for people under the age of fifteen."

Rekindling the Flameजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें