Heating Up

Chapter 9 - Heating Up

As Gibbs, Abby and Tim sat in the kitchen drinking coffee, they listened to the screams and raucous laughter coming from the back yard. Even Gibbs was forced to smile, that is until a loud crash echoed from the patio. Rushing out, he saw a very guilty looking Tony and Ziva standing next to a shattered terracotta pot plant.

"What happened?" he asked not overly surprised at the incident considering the way the two had been tearing around.

"Um, it broke," said Ziva.

Tony snorted in laughter at her response which sent Ziva into a fit of giggles.

"I can see that," said Gibbs trying to sound stern however when faced with two giggling children it was quite difficult.

Both children snorted again.

"How did it happen?" he asked.

"Um....well...(snigger) we were playing chasey and....(snigger) Ziva was pretending to be a monkey and...." That was a far as Tony got before collapsing into a fit of giggles again.

Tim and Abby who had been standing at the kitchen door, turned and headed back to the table. They were finding it difficult to control their laughter and felt that Gibbs didn't need them encouraging Tony and Ziva. Sitting down they looked at each other and burst into laughter.

"Oh poor Gibbs," said Abby. "I feel terrible. It's my fault they're like this, but I can't stop laughing. Maybe we should offer to have them tonight?"

"Are you kidding Abs?" exclaimed Tim still laughing. "No way! I feel sorry for Gibbs too but not that much."

"What's going on?"

Turning towards the living room, Abby and Tim saw Jenny standing in the entry to the kitchen.

"Oh hi Director Shepard," said Abby. "I didn't realise you were here. Have you just arrived?" she added hinting at more information.

"Ah no, I'm staying here at the moment," answered Jenny without elaborating. "So what's going on? All I could hear were Ziva and Tony screaming and giggling and then it sounded like something broke."

"Ah, yeah," said Abby. "Well we took them out for the afternoon and kind of overloaded them with sugar. Sorry," she squeaked in apology.

"So what broke?" asked Jenny.

"A pot plant Director," answered Tim.

"Jenny," she corrected.

"Er yeah...Jenny...sorry," he stammered.

And Abby, same for you. When we're not at work, please just call me Jenny," she said, looking at Abby.

Abby smiled and nodded. She was still very curious as to why the director was in Gibbs' house on a Saturday afternoon, looking extremely casual and like she'd just rolled out of bed.

Jenny caught her look and rolled her eyes.

"I've been unwell and Gibbs insisted I stay here until I was feeling better," she said raising her eyebrows at Abby and daring her to argue.

"Right," said Abby smiling. "Gibbs is good like that. Always opening his house to friends who need help."

"I didn't need help Abby, I wasn't given any choice," replied Jenny. "When Gibbs sets his mind on something, there's no point arguing."

Abby and Tim smiled then exchanged a knowing look.

"And you can wipe that look off your faces, I'm just here recuperating," Jenny retorted.