Lost

Chapter 20 - Lost

"So how did it go?" asked Jenny as she sat down on the sand next to Gibbs. He had just hung up his cell phone after speaking with Abby for the third time that day.

"Well, there's definitely suspicion surrounding the case," replied Gibbs making room for Jenny so she could lean against the rock. "Abby and McGee have spent the last couple of hours looking into it."

"McGee?" questioned Jenny.

"Yeah, trust Abby," said Gibbs giving a short laugh. "She roped him into helping her and, between the two of them, they've covered quite a bit of background. According to the file, David Halloway was accused of selling military equipment while serving in Iraq. When suspicions were raised, he apparently shot himself in front of First Sergeant Andrew Mills who had confronted him regarding the issue. From what they could see though, Halloway had no previous record, no former disciplinary actions. But, and here's where it gets interesting, Mills' record is just the opposite. Seems our First Sergeant led quite the colourful life before joining up and was in and out of trouble during his early time with the corps. Abby's just spoken to Vance and managed to convince him to re-open the case."

Jenny raised her eyebrows but chose not to comment.

"Come on Jen," said Gibbs not missing the look. "He can't be that bad."

"No, I guess not," relinquished Jenny. "I just find the man somewhat arrogant in his approach. It's probably just me. Don't worry about it. Anyway, what did he say?"

"Well according to Abs, he's going to get McDonald's team on to it tomorrow," replied Gibbs putting his cell in his pocket. "I guess she'll keep me informed. It would be good to get this sorted for Susan Halloway."

"Yeah," agreed Jen. "It's pretty awful when things are left up in the air. And trust me, the good guys aren't always good."

"Agh Jen," said Gibbs putting his arm around her. "Sorry Love, I didn't think. This'll bring up bad memories for you won't it?"

"They're always there Jethro," replied Jenny. "But if Susan can find some peace, whatever the outcome, then it will be worth it."

Gibbs smiled and put his hand on her head, pulling it towards him where he could lay a kiss on her temple. Jenny returned the smile and lent her head on his shoulder.

Catching sight of Gibbs' watch, Jenny lifted his wrist and said, "Hey it's quarter to five. The kids are late."

They both gave a quick look around to see if they could spy any sign of Tony and Ziva walking towards them.

"Well, you know what kids are like," said Gibbs. "They have no sense of time. I remember Shannon telling me, that despite giving Kelly a watch for her 7th birthday, she still could never manage to be home on time after a day of playing with Maddie."

"Yeah, I guess," said Jenny but her worry radar had suddenly turned on and whirred into action. To be honest, it hadn't really been switched off all day, just turned down slightly.

"I'm happy to give them thirty minutes grace," said Gibbs taking another look around. "But if they're not home by five, look out!" he said raising his eyebrows. "It will be early to bed for those two tonight, even with Aiden and his mother here."

"Well, I'd imagine she wouldn't be too pleased either," replied Jenny. "She strikes me as the type who keeps a tight ship herself."

They sat for a while longer, enjoying the peaceful sounds of the water lapping gently at the edge of the lake and the various bird life that called this large body of water home.