Sleepless Nights and Cranky Days - Part 2

Chapter 22 - Sleepless Nights Make For Cranky Days Part 2

"After our ice-creams can we please look in the gift store?" asked Ziva.

"Only if you promise to look with your eyes and ask either Mommy or me to help you if you want to look closely at something," replied Gibbs, not wanting a repeat of the behaviour they had experienced that morning.

"I will," said Ziva. "But, I only want to buy the candy that's in there," she added.

"No," said Gibbs firmly. "You are not spending all the money on candy. You can spend up to $4 on candy and that's it."

"Oh but Daddy," began Ziva.

"No buts Ziva," said Gibbs sternly. "You don't need any candy. There's plenty of snacks at the cottage and besides, you're already eating an ice-cream now. If you do decide to buy some candy, I'll be putting it away until later."

"That's not fair Daddy," whined Ziva kicking out her foot. "You said I could buy anything I wanted so long as it was less than $20."

"I didn't mean candy," said Gibbs. "I was talking about something you could keep as a memento of our day."

"But you didn't say that," said Ziva sulkily.

"Well, I'm saying it now," replied Gibbs hoping to end the conversation.

"I was thinking about getting a puzzle book Ziva," said Tony trying to be helpful. "Why don't you get one as well and then we can do them together?"

"Don't want a stupid puzzle book," snarled Ziva. "I want candy!"

Standing up, Gibbs took Ziva's ice-cream out of her hand and gave it to Jenny. Without saying a word, he picked up the little girl and carried her a short distance away so they were out of ear shot of the general public.

Putting her on the ground, he crouched to her level making sure they were eye to eye. Ziva swallowed hard. She knew she had crossed the line.

"Right young lady," began Gibbs sternly. "I've had enough of your attitude and sulky behaviour today. I realise you didn't get much sleep last night but that isn't my fault and it certainly isn't fair that you are taking your bad mood out on everyone around you."

When she didn't respond but continued looking down, Gibbs took her chin in his hand and lifted her head.

"Now this behaviour stops right now," he said firmly, looking directly into her brown eyes. "When we go back to the bench, I want you to apologise to Tony for being so rude."

She nodded her head in understanding.

"If I hear you speak that way to someone again, you'll be going straight to bed when we get back. I don't care if Tim and Abby are coming, I will not put up with that kind of behaviour from you. It is rude and disrespectful. Do you understand me?"

She nodded.

"I want a verbal answer Ziva," said Gibbs.

"Yes Daddy," she said softly.

"Good," he said. "Now off you go and I expect to hear an apology to Tony." He stood up and spun her around, sending her back to the bench with a firm swat to her bottom. Watching her hand fly back to rub away the sting, he followed behind her as she made her way back to Jenny and Tony.

Walking up to Tony she said softly, "Sorry Tony for speaking meanly to you."

He smiled at her. "That's ok squirt," he answered.