Good News and Stalling Tactics

Chapter 24 - Good News and Stalling Tactics

"Abby, stop putting leaves on the fire. You're just creating more smoke," grumbled Tim, shifting for the third time to avoid the smoke which was billowing in his direction.

"It's kindling, Timmy," she whined. "It's not my fault there are leaves on the sticks."

"You're supposed to strip the leaves off first," said Tim rolling his eyes in frustration.

"Well, no one told me that!" she argued.

"I didn't think I'd have to, it's kind of obvious..."

"Children," called Gibbs as he and Jenny made their way down to the fire. "Play nice!"

Putting the plates they were carrying onto the portable table, Jenny looked around asking, "Where are the kids?"

"Collecting more kindling," answered Tim standing once again to move away from the slowly approaching smoke.

"Which one of them put the leave on the fire?" asked Gibbs, wafting the smoke away.

"Abby," answered Tim dryly.

When Gibbs stared at Abby, she grinned sheepishly and looked down. Shaking his head and smirking, Gibbs looked towards the trees for any sign of Tony and Ziva. It wasn't long before the two children emerged, arms full of twigs and announcing that they were done collecting kindling.

"Phew," said Tony as he dumped his pile by the fire pit. "I think we have enough now."

"Yep," said Gibbs. "Well done."

"My pile is better," said Ziva as she dumped her armload next to Tony's. "You got too many sticks with leaves still attached. You're going to have to strip them all off first otherwise there will be too much smoke."

Tim didn't say a word but graced Abby with a look that said it all.

"Hey, what's wrong with Mrs Halloway?" suddenly asked Tony looking up.

Everyone glanced up. Looking towards the Halloway's property, they saw the figure of Susan Halloway almost running towards them along the lake front, tears streaming down her face. Thinking something must be terribly wrong, Gibbs stepped away from the fire and began to walk quickly towards her. Just as he was about to say something, Susan reached out her arms and enveloped Gibbs in a bone crushing hug.

"Oh Mr Gibbs, Mr Gibbs. How can I ever thank you?" Crying into his shoulder, she continued to hold him close, squeezing him tightly.

When she finally pulled away and looked into his face, he could see the tears were those of joy and not sorrow.

"I bless the day my Aiden met yer two. It's changed our lives," she said, removing a tissue from her shirt sleeve and blowing her nose.

Leading her over to a chair, Gibbs gently helped Susan to sit down. Pulling up a chair and placing it opposite, he took a seat and leaned forward, looking directly into her eyes.

"Tell me what's happened," he said calmly.

"Well," she began blowing her nose for a second time and slipping the tissue back into her sleeve. "Not long after lunch, we was jist finishin' up the dishes when two official lookin' men came to the door. When I opens it, they says they's from NCIS and could they come in. Well, I brung 'em in and Sam comes and sits down wiv us and they starts tellin' us that they've been investagatin' Davey's case like. They says that Davey didn't kill 'imself but he was murdered by that good fer nuffin Mills. I knew he was no good right from the start, I did." She looked around, the fire in her eyes ablaze with anger and grief.