A Sizzling Heat

Chapter 12 - A Sizzling Heat

After three cups of real tea, a visit from Ducky and a slight sedative, Jenny was finally sleeping in Gibbs' room. She had given permission for Gibbs to fill Ducky in on what she had told him and, as the M.E. listened in repulsed silence, he too was filled with an angry desire to see the man who had hurt this beautiful woman so cruelly, suffer for his sins.

"Gunshot wound to the head was far too good for him," said Ducky when he'd heard the whole sordid story. "That poor girl, holding tightly to this secret for so long. It can't have been good for her. Let's hope she can move forward from this point."

"That's my plan Duck," said Gibbs gathering up the cups and putting them in the sink.

"Well if anyone can do it, it'll be you," said Ducky smiling. "I'm going to write out a medical certificate. Our Director shouldn't be a work for at least a week if not two."

"Duck, you can write out all the medical certificates you want, but unless Jenny wants to stay home, she'll just ignore them. You know what she's like," said Gibbs. "How are you going to convince her to stay home?"

"I'm not," replied Ducky smirking. "You are!"

When he saw the fear cross Gibbs face, he couldn't help but chuckle.

"Don't worry Jethro, I'll give you a head start. I plan to give this certificate directly to Sec Nav, insisting that the Director is not fit for work for at least seven days, after which a second assessment will take place before she is to return to any duties."

Ducky smiled when he saw Gibbs give a sigh of relief. For a man who was as determined and stubborn as Leroy Jethro Gibbs, he was as malleable as putty when it came to his family, especially the women. For years, Ducky had watched Abby wile her way around Gibbs, getting away with things that would see poor Anthony slapped into the next century, and now with little Anthony and Ziva, along with one Ms Jennifer Shepard, Gibbs had no hope. And Ducky would bet all the tea in China, that Gibbs wouldn't have it any other way.

"Actually Ducky, I think I might have a plan," said Gibbs brightening considerably. "It'll take some quick organising, but it may just work."

Checking his watch and seeing it was nearly five o'clock, Gibbs turned to Ducky and asked, "You staying for dinner? Abby's grabbing some Chinese on the way back from the movies, picking up Tim and heading this way. I figured it's not as tiring as the barbecue and we all have to eat."

"Well, that's very kind of you Jethro," said Ducky. "But I'm afraid I must decline. You see, I've already made plans for this evening."

"Ah, wouldn't be with a certain young doctor now would it?" probed Gibbs, grinning at his friend.

"Now that would be telling Jethro, and gentlemen never tell!" Ducky winked conspiratorially before gathering his things and walking towards the front door.

"Let me know if her condition changes won't you?" he said as he opened the door. "I'm not expecting anything to go wrong, but always best to keep an eye on things."

He was just about to exit, when he turned and said, "Oh, those sleeping tablets? Only use them if necessary. I'm hoping she won't need them, but if you find the nightmares are stopping her from getting a decent night's sleep, then please go ahead and give her one. Hopefully, now that she had purged herself of the secret, there may be an improvement to her sleeping patterns."

"Will do Duck," said Gibbs holding on to the door as the M.E. stepped onto the porch. "And thanks," he added.

"My pleasure Jethro," replied Ducky.