Chapter 6

Hey.

Can you hear me?

I hope you can, although I am somehow relieved if you can't.

Why? Hmm, I wonder as well.

Maybe because I feel like a complete coward for not telling you before; I just had to wait until a time where you can't hear me nor see me.

Everything I wanted to tell you...useless as they fall into deaf ears.

But I'll tell it all to you anyway.

I'm glad to have met you. I'm thankful that I was given the privilege to call you as my bestfriend. I must be such a fool to have taken that privilege for granted, and left you when you needed me most. I'm such a failure...a bad friend.

You don't have to forgive me. I don't deserve to live anyway.

The world's one heck of an ocean and we're both drowning.

Sometimes, I wonder who really needs the saving – you or me?

~

Reiji stared at his reflection in the mirror as his hands fixed his tie for the umpteenth time. Years of being in the idol industry was supposed to make him an expert in tying ties but for this occasion, the blue piece of garment just seemed out of place. He discarded the tie and sighed.

Perhaps he should've just stuck with the attire he wore years ago, back to the time he was unable to save his bestfriend.

Reiji shook his head. That was a different reality now. Due to whatever up there that was listening to his sobs at night about his inability to save a certain someone, the clown-sempai went back to the past in hopes of altering Aine's fate.

Speaking of Aine, the cyanette was as brilliant as ever. Reiji happened to pass-by a practice room where he heard the other sang. The brunet almost forgot how majestic his bestfriend and rival sounded so he found himself leaning on the other side of the door, savouring the sweet melody only an angel could create.

'I won't lose to him though.' Reiji thought, determined to move to greater heights with his cyan-haired companion. The eldest of the Quartet Night couldn't possibly think of a better rival than the one he has now and hopefully until the end of their lifetime.

"He seems to have lightened up." The brunet told himself. "He looks like he's enjoying life."

How he hoped he was right.

30 minutes left before his audition. There was a knock at the door, which Reiji opened, and revealed the visitor to be Aine.

"Nani? What cha doing here, Aine? Aren't you supposed to be rehearsing?" Reiji inquired. "You're after me, right?"

"I want to talk to you about something." Aine said, sounding serious.

The cyan-haired teen let himself in and sat on a chair, motioning Reiji to follow suit. The brunet took a seat opposite Aine and waited for the other to talk, eager to know what his bestfriend wanted to discuss about.

"Reiji...you told me you had a dream about me trying to take my own life, correct?" Aine began.

Immediately, Reiji's heart raced twice its speed. "What about it?"

The cyanette was silent for a tense moment until he spoke. "I planned to do it."

At that moment, something like a chandelier crashed and burned Reiji's cool.

"Y-You can't!" Reiji exclaimed as he stood up. "You simply can't!"

"Reiji..."

"NO! No no no! I will not allow it! I w-won't let it happen! I-I'm not losing you! Fuck it, you are not throwing your future away!"