Chapter 8

"You ready?"

"Yeah. Let's go."

After the incident with Ranmaru, Reiji found himself on a trip to the seaside with Aine. The cyanette practically forced the clown sempai to tag along; said sempai raised no objection since it would give his bestfriend a peace of mind.

Speaking of his bestfriend, Aine had never pampered someone so much until Reiji started acting funny. Ever since the brunet got punched in the face for claiming to have known and be bandmates with the angry heir to the Kurosaki group, Reiji had been under the watchful eye of Aine. The cyanette could always entrust Reiji to Kei and Hibiki, but he feared that the other two might not stand the brunet's odd behaviour so Aine took the responsibility of being Reiji's guardian.

"It's been a while since you last visited. You should see the new inventions the professor made!" Aine exclaimed. "I heard that he's recently occupied with building something Saotome requested."

"What's that?" Reiji asked for the sake of saying something after being unusually silent.

"An A.I or Artificial Intelligence." The taller of the two replied. "According to my uncle, Saotome requested him to create a robot that'll depict the perfect idol."

"The perfect idol, huh?" Reiji thought aloud and felt his lips broke into a smile. His fellow bandmate was the embodiment of idol perfection and Reiji swore that Ai wasn't human. The youngest displayed little to no emotion unless needed, and worked without breaking a sweat. The rest of Quartet Night could also do that since it was expected of them as professionals, yet they could never calculate or analyze as precisely as Ai.

Ai was a mystery – he really lived up to his given title: the mysterious cool beauty.

"Yeah, apparently Saotome believed that an A.I would whip newbies into flawless idols. I wonder what he meant by that." Aine continued.

"Maybe the A.I will be a sempai at the Master Course?" Reiji exclaimed, remembering his fellow Quartet Night.

His companion chuckled at the idea. "What're the odds of that? But then again, we're talking about Saotome. Who knows what's running inside that head of his."

The duo arrived at their destination. Reiji took his time to gaze at the place. The sea had never been so blue and the air had never felt this refreshing for the brunet.

It almost felt like paradise.

"Done with your sightseeing?" Aine asked thus snapping the other idol out of his thoughts. "Come on! My uncle's waiting!"

Reiji scratched the back of his head sheepishly before he followed his friend. They went to a house that Reiji knew too well for he had visited it multiple times. Aine rang the doorbell and it was opened by a very familiar man.

"Aine! Reiji! Good to see you boys! Come in, come in!" The professor exclaimed as he welcomed the two idols into his abode.

'Everything's the same here...' Reiji thought and true enough, the professor's place didn't look so different. The place was clean with the exception of some papers – probably scientific research – lying around the table. Reiji wondered if it was the professor that brought him back to the past.

"Any chance you built a time machine?" The brunet asked.

The professor gave a hearty laugh. "Not quite. However, I am building something just as interesting! Let's head to the lab!"

The professor led them to a door downstairs and Reiji knew who used to be behind that door, hooked with contraptions and an oxygen mask. Now that Aine was saved, the brunet couldn't help but wonder who or what was inside that room.