Chapter 10

Lifeless cyan eyes lingered on Reiji's mind as he continued to stare at the chaotic waves that crashed mercilessly against the cliff he was standing on. The brunet froze after losing sight of Ai, but what haunted Reiji the most were the words that replayed inside his head like an old broken record.

You couldn't save my life. You couldn't save me.

"NO! STOP IT!!!" Reiji exclaimed while clutching locks of his hair, then suddenly, everything became dark and a feeling of eeriness radiated into the atmosphere.

You couldn't save your friend. You couldn't save anyone!

"SHUT UP!!!"

Tears of anger and frustration streamed down his face just as the brown-haired idol fell on his knees. It wasn't the first time he got all the blame for the almost death of his friend but it certainly felt like it. It didn't help that he, too, cursed himself for the unfortunate events that took place. The former cheery idol glanced at the ocean – which was now still – and saw his reflection smirking at him.

You waste of space. You couldn't save your friend, you cost your kouhais their dreams...this is all your fault!

"S-Stop..."

You go walking around this world as if you did no wrong. Who are you trying to fool? The only one you're fooling is yourself!

"..."

...

You're nothing.

You should be nothing.

"I'm nothing." The brunet whispered to himself. "I don't deserve to exist."

After making such statement, Reiji shakily got up and took a deep breath. He was of no use to the world and to those around him so why bother living?

'The world wouldn't miss me anyway...'

Reiji mentally counted and once he reached zero, he prepared to jump. However, just as he was about to, a hand grabbed hold of his and his eyes snapped open.

"Reiji! Damn, I was worried sick!" Aine exclaimed as he hugged the brunet.

Reiji looked around his surroundings. It was definitely dark and it was raining. The only source of light was the one emitted by a flashlight that Aine brought.

'It was just a dream?' The dazed idol thought. He must have been exhausted from running that he collapsed without warning and fell asleep.

"It felt too real..." The maracas sempai mumbled, recalling the nightmare he had about losing Ai. The image of his bandmate falling down from the cliff remained fresh in his memory and he felt a pain in his heart that constantly stung.

Noticing his friend's unusually silent behaviour, Aine broke the embrace and looked into Reiji's eyes.

"Let's go back, okay?" The cyanette began and gave a reassuring smile.

The brunet nodded and soon the two of them were heading back to the professor's house. Their walk was quiet, saved for the sound of rain. Reiji glanced at his companion and noticed Aine wasn't wearing anything to protect him from the rain.

'He just left with a flashlight?'

Reiji slumped down his shoulders. It was bad enough that he had Aine worried, but now his bestfriend searched for him in this weather?

'Way to go, Rei-chan...you just endangered Aine of hypothermia.' The brunet thought glumly.

"Are you alright? I'm sorry I didn't bring an umbrella. I never thought it would rain." Aine began.